Got rear ended by uninsured driver in Texas. What can I do?

Blanket statements are seldom true.

1 Like

Pennsylvania, for example, does not permit wage garnishment to satisfy a civil judgement.

Heh heh. I got it.

Although a million is not what it used to be.

1 Like

True! Seems that when I go to the store and pay cash (Can/should you still touch that stuff?), $100s are the new $20s!
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Looks like they do although very narrow-

I know of no dealership that will accept cash of over a couple thousand dollars. They want a bank check. Some will accept personal checks, but you won’t be able to take delivery until the check clears. No credit cards except for the initial deposit of a couple hundred to hold the car. Bank certified checks.

Probably has something to do with money laundering.

Never say never. Twice now I have driven off with the vehicle within 30 minutes of drafting a personal check and completing the sales process. One for just shy of $13k, the other for just over $28k. I was surprised the first time. The second time I asked and the finance guy said we can verify the check electronically if it’s within normal business hours

I never said never. I said I know of no dealership that does. If there are - I’m very surprised. I know the feds have rules on cash payments.

Also for large sums, each bill will have to be inspected for fraud. Easy for a bank to do it.

+1
Ever since The Patriot Act took effect, the feds suspect money laundering by potential terrorist groups when large amounts of cash are involved.

When I bought my second Outback, I had the Subaru Visa card, and even though the fine print of the credit agreement stated that I couldn’t earn my usual “Subaru Bucks” by using the card for a deposit on a new car, I used the card anyway because it was my default credit card at that point. Well, somehow this slipped through their system, and I did earn Subaru Bucks equal to 3% of the amount of the deposit.

By the time that I was ready to buy my third Outback, I had accumulated enough of those “bucks” to get an additional $1,200 off the already discounted price. And, before they terminated that credit card program, I was able to have my 30k service done with enough Subaru Bucks so that I wound up paying less than $50 for that extremely comprehensive service.

Unfortunately, that Subaru credit card program no longer exists.
:frowning_face:

We bought our last two cars at the same Honda dealer. Both times we paid fhe entire amount with personal checks. They said that they prefer them to bank drafts. IMO, they want the money ASAP so the custom can’t back out.

Dealers won’t accept cash because of money laundering, as @VDCdriver explained. I discussed this quite a while ago with a Toyota saleswoman I knew. She also said that the preferred vehicle for drug dealers was the 4Runner at the time. There were plenty of cubbyholes to stick their illicit cargo into, and for a while the police didn’t know about them all.

When I bought my first Outback–from a small, local, family-run dealership–I asked what form of payment they wanted. I expected them to say that they wanted a cashier’s check, but to my surprise, the saleswoman said that my personal check would be fine.

I asked if they weren’t afraid of being cheated, and her answer was, “Well, that’s never happened to us
”. I was surprised, but happy that I didn’t have to go to the bank for a cashier’s check.

We’re not talking about cash, at least I wasn’t. I was addressing the issue of check clearing before delivery.