Goodbye Wankel, hello Skyactiv?

Mazda has confirmed a new rotary engine for it’s lineup using the Skyactiv technology in hopes of better fuel economy; a major sore spot for the rotary engine

The rotary engine: For those times you need the horsepower of a V6, the torque of a four cylinder and the fuel economy of V8, with added bonus of being perpetually a quart low on oil. :slight_smile:

Reading the comments, they’ve really got some die hard Wankel fans. Form over function and anyone that doesn’t believe is just an old fuddy duddy. Reminds me of what they say about French engineers-they copy no one and no one copies them.

What??? I owned a RX-7 and I loved it! It had the power of a V8 in a small, lightweight package. In racing trim, they RULED their class…Cruising down the interstate, mine got over 30 MPG at 80 MPH, a speed the car loved…Around town, the mileage did drop to 18, but the fun factor made up for it. Few owners ever realized the little oil-injection pump was stealing crankcase oil and pumping it into the air intake…I modified mine and fed it from a 1/2 gallon reservoir of 2-stroke oil, something the factory should have done from the start…

With direct injection making it possible to keep fuel out of the exhaust ports, I thought the Rotary had possibilities…But I guess there is just too much surface area exposed to combustion, too much heat loss, robs efficiency…

I have always wanted Mazda to put out a Rotary version of the Miata. I have had both a Miata and a RX-7 and loved both of them, combining them would be great.

Let’s not invent new ways of burning fossil fuel less efficiently. A small diesel powering an electric drive motor would leave the Wankle Wanting. It’s time has past.

They did stop production of the Wankel rotary, they’re just developing a new rotary engine using their Skyactiv technology.

@dagosa

Top Gear made the Geoff/Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust … it’s a start:)

“It’s time has past” Have you ever driven an RX7?

I wonder how they can apply ‘Skyactiv’ to a Wankel? It’s a high-compression technology, would seem to be hard to apply to a Wankel.

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/engine/skyactiv-g.html

SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is a blanket term for Mazda’s innovative new-generation technologies that are being developed under the company’s long-term vision for technology development, Sustainable Zoom-Zoom. The SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY name is intended to reflect Mazda’s desire to provide driving pleasure as well as outstanding environmental and safety performance in its vehicles. To achieve this goal, Mazda has implemented an internal Building Block Strategy to be completed by 2015. This ambitious strategy involves the comprehensive optimization of Mazda’s base technologies, which determine the core performance of its vehicles, and the progressive introduction of electric devices such as regenerative braking and a hybrid system. All the technologies that are developed based on the Building Block Strategy will fall under the SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY umbrella.

It’s a combination of lightweight chassis/body and better engine and transmission performance and efficiency.

“Sustainable Zoom-Zoom.” SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY …

Marketing department BS…

“To achieve this goal, Mazda has implemented an internal Building Block Strategy to be completed by 2015. This ambitious strategy involves the comprehensive optimization of Mazda’s base technologies, which determine the core performance of its vehicles, and the progressive introduction of electric devices such as regenerative braking and a hybrid system.”

Give-me-a-break…

@dagosa: “Let’s not invent new ways of burning fossil fuel less efficiently. A small diesel powering an electric drive motor would leave the Wankle Wanting. It’s time has past.”

A small diesel powering an electric drive motor would be less efficient than a small diesel on its own. Let’s not invent new ways of burning fossil fuel less efficiently.

Well, that certainly sets Mazda apart from all the other car companies that have absolutely no plans to make better cars in the future.

They just needed a catchy marketing phrase, let’s see, “hope and change” no that’s already been used, ok how about “Skyactiv Technology”.