Good or bad idea: Hitch on Toyota Avalon for Bike Carrier

Besides, when not used, put one of those cool propellers on back…

Being safety conscious, I opt for an extra brake light instead of the propeller.

I am not sure I would call those hitch-mounted racks “sturdy.” I see them on the highway, and they always look like they are bouncing around. I guess the effectiveness of strapped racks really depends on how you mount them. When I use mine, I attach the lower straps to the metal loop on my civic that is attached to the frame on the bottom of the rear bumper. This allows me to make the straps as tight as they need to be. I also place chamois cloths under the rubber contacts to protect the paint.

I suppose the best choice depends on how often the OP plans to use the bike rack. If it is on a frequent basis, it might be worth the expense of the hitch. I use my bike rack so infrequently, it wouldn’t make sense for me.

They look like they are bouncing because often they have too much play between the receiver and the rack insert. A stout bungy cord that torques it to the side eliminates it and makes it rock solid of if. Mine is a custom made welded unit we made at school that rotates down and allows lid or hatch to open. Can buy them that way as well. I also have an easy access tow hook I install in the receiver that has allowed me to pull and be pulled out of several ditches. That kind of toughness and flexibility is not to be found in a trunk rack.
Do they make LED lit propellers ? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326863_200326863

Ask those that have used one! I had a 1.25 hitch on my RAV4 for years for bikes and it worked fine. I think they are much more convenient than a roof rack, easily removable when not being used…every one has an opinion.

If possible, I would always go with a 2" receiver hitch which has less flex and more options available. It’s what we have on our RAV4