Good jack kit to get?

deleted

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You should not try to use a center point and lift both wheels at once with that jack. Your upper body will be too close to the jack. If it comes down hard you may be injured. With a larger jack you will be about 18" farther away and not almost under the car. Lift one wheel at a time with the small jack. If you see another jack but it is just longer and not beefier, donā€™t get it. Itā€™s harder to use and isnā€™t better. I have both kinds and the larger jack seems to be safer, even if it is from Harbor Freight.

Can you just put a pipe on the the handle to extend it?

Perhaps yours does, CSA, but I was asking the OP. I donā€™t believe his Honda manual does.

I have a 2 ton floor jack that had no problem lifting our 97 Accord front, or our 14 Subaru Legacy or any other vehicle I have encountered. But it is not a trolley jack like the 2 ton floor jacks at Autozone or Walmart. It is a full sized aluminium floor jack.

Those little trolley jacks may have the lifting capacity, but they donā€™t have the body length to reach the center lift points and adding a pipe to the handle wonā€™t help. The pivot point where the handle meets the body of the jack will be too far under the car to be able to work it.

When you jack up one end of a vehicle, you are only lifting about 45 to 55% of its total weight. You do want to only use about half its rate capacity though, less than half for daily use. For occasional use, you can get a little closer to the max. But for jackstands, you need to go well above the actual weight of your vehicle.

For example, your Honda weighs around 3600 lbs. Being FWD, the front end weighs close to 2000 lbs or one ton. If the jack were to fail after lifting the front end and setting the jackstands in place, it would gain some momentum on the way down and could crush weaker jackstands. This actually happened to me once. I was dropping the back end of a 66 Dodge wagon on to a set of 2 ton rated jackstands and the jack failed as I started letting it down.

I would recommend a 3 ton set of jackstands for the front. You can use 2 ton rated jackstands on the rear, but for future investment reasons, you probably get all 3 ton jackstands.

Iā€™ve used an inexpensive 2 ton floor jack (I think I bought it at Sears) for years and years and never had any problem lifting even my truck. In retrospect though I wished I had focused less on the ā€œtonsā€ and more on the minimum and maximum lift dimensions. Especially the highest dimension it will lift to. I often have to add spacers to get my jack to lift high enough that I can fit the jack stand underneath. The jacks with the higher lift specs are often rated 3 ton or 4 ton, but even if you donā€™t want to lift that much weight, I think it is still worth it to get a jack like that if that rating provides the lift dimensions you need. Makes the job easier.

You are a very brave man :fearful:

Do you think a HF 3 ton jack will fit under my car or do I have to get a low profile jack?

I have to low profile 3 ton HF jack and I think it stands at 4.5 or 5 inches-look on their website and then measure the distance from ground to your jacking point on the car and see if it would fit.

I measured my car and its 7 inches from the lowest point I need do you think a normal profile jack will work?

Most of the floor jacks I looked at online gave measurements from closed on completely down to how high they raise. In the length of this thread I could have had Amazon ship one to me.

1 Like

If you have 7 inches to work with, Iā€™d guess one of the ordinary floor jacks would work ok for you. I think thatā€™s about how much I have to work with on my Corolla, and I just have an ordinary one, not a low profile version. Make sure however there arenā€™t other jacking points you need to use that are lower.

My brother has a Mazda 3, which is actually pretty low

Heā€™s got factory fat rims and tires, but a regular jack works okay

Costco almost always has a good Arcan 3 ton floor jack for $99. If not, Northern Tool sometimes runs a sale on the 3.5 ton Arcan for around $120. Both of these prices are very good.

3 ton jack stands run $32/pair at Sears, and thatā€™s about the minimum quality you should have.

For the creeper, either get one at Harbor Freight during their tent sale for something like 12 bucks (and actually theirs is my favorite creeper) or do what people in another thread were suggesting and use a big piece of cardboard for now.

I know that this means you will end up spending about $100 more than you wanted to spend, but look at it this way: This equipment is literally standing between you and death/serious injury. You do not want to cheap out on it.