Good 1/2 ratchet set to get?

Consumer-grade tools have changed a lot in the last 40 years. Now there are several places to buy them, for low prices. HF, Lowes, Home Depot, Craigslist, and nobody’s mentioned Amazon - don’t they have some good buys? Sears was pretty much it back when. Sure, they are not as good as US made Craftsmen tools were, but I bet they’re cheaper today (even ignoring inflation), and fill most people’s needs just fine.

Anyone who has worked on cars in Western NY that has never broken a socket is not really trying.
I was trying to remove the cross member under the engine on a 2003 Chrysler minivan and the bolts just laughed at me.
I was using my 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar with a 4 1/2 ’ pipe over it and all of my 225 lb and could bot budge them.

Not to sound snobby . . . the Snap on 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar is simply better in all ways

Better material, better grip, etc.

You have a choice of solid handle or soft grip handle . . . note that a cheater pipe will NOT fit very well over the soft grip handle

My first tool set was from Harbor Freight 20 years ago. It was like a 200 piece mechanic set. It all came loose without a storage case. I’m still using all of it, never had any problems with any of it. Granted I’m not a mechanic using them every day but they’ve been fine for my personal use.

I’ve added a lot to it since then. I’m cheap so I stick to budget brands. I still buy HF tools and like them for the most part… I have some Companion brand ratchets from Sears, this was a budget line they sold but I think they stopped making them. I thought they were great for the price. Only tools I’ve had problems with were certain budget tools from auto parts stores or cheap stuff from Walmart.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if you have a Craftsman, Snap-On, HF, Cobalt, Rigid, etc…, breaker bar.

If you haven’t already broken the hardware loose with a socket/breaker bar with a cheater pipe, and haven’t broken a tool, then you probably need a blue wrench.

Tester

2 Likes

I got a flier from Northern Tool (Northern Hydraulics) and they had a full 3/4 set for $69. Couldn’t comment on the quality. They have both good and HF quality. Also shipping may be a concern if there isn’t a store in your area.

I traded a VW bug with a blown engine for a complete NAPA New Britain tool chest full of 1/2" sockets etc. Broke 3 breaker bars trying to remove the nut on a FWD axle. First 2, free replacement. Third one, the dealer sold me a 3/4" breaker bar and socket for cost. That, a long pipe, and a blue wrench finally got it loose.