Going up hill problem

I have a 99 Toyota with manual transmission. This past two days, It has stared having a problem going up hill(street hills). When I put in first or second gear, press the accelerator, the needle jumps high, but the car moves very slow, and a strong rubber burning smell. There is no problem on a flat road, at lest, not yet. What is the problem with my car?

Assuming it is a manual transmission, that sounds like a classic burned clutch and it will get worse fast. Time for a new clutch.

If automatic, the problem will be found there. You might want to check to make sure the fluid is at the proper level and does not stink.

Thank you for helping me. I hope it’s not a transmission problem. If it’s a clutch problem, it is a big job to get it fixed?

This is a classic worn out clutch.

Yup, it’s a big job. The clutch is located between the engine and the transmission. Replacing it requires seperating teh two. If you’re considering doing the work yourself, be sure you get a “kit” that includes the pressure plate assembly and the throwout bearing (also called the release bearing). If you have it done, be sure the garage changes the pressure plate and throwout bearing when they do the clutch. If you try cheaping out by just replacing the clutchplate, you’ll be doing the job over again.

Don’t laugh guys, I’ve heard of this being done!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I went to the garage and had the clutch replaced about 5 days ago. When the car came back, there was still a burning smell issuing from the hood of the car. Since then I smell a strong burning smell when I use the clutch to go uphill, especially in first and second gear. Also, when I have to wait on a hill in traffic, and then begin to gather speed, it smells bad. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?