GM will offer buyouts to Buick dealers

I dont agree. I think that now is truly the “last chance” to make big changes to how we live before the planet’s path to destruction is irreversible.

4 Likes

Sorry but “experts debunk” and “fact check” just don’t mean much anymore. There are many more contrary opinions and a .4 temp increase is no time to panic but if you are bent on killing all the nd de-populating the earth, I’m on the other team.

4 Likes

My only regret right now is that I don’t have the ability to store extra vehicles for when we will ultimately need them down the road (pun intended). I still have at least another 30-40 driving years left, and want to continue driving older cars with no intrusive Big Brother technology, etc. My wife will probably outlive me, but is more tolerant of the new privacy-infringing technology. I have space for only 4 vehicles, and we have two cars that we use every day, a truck which we rarely use, plus another car disassembled in the garage that I hope to restore.

I don’t recall anyone warning that everyone would be dead in 10 years b/c of climate change. Not saying it didn’t happen, but just curious, what sources told you that?

Don’t necessarily agree w/all your points, but the above makes complete sense to me. I disagree with gov’ts that force people to buy something or the other. I was totally opposed to the gov’t mandate forcing folks to buy health insurance coverage or pay a fine for example. Better to use the carrot than the stick imo. Voters will have their chance to weigh in, just a few months.

OK I’ll play since it relates to electric cars. I go through a lot of articles and have no idea where that one was. I just read for myself, not to prove anything and don’t keep notes. But here is a clickable aggragation of various warnings in the past 50 years, easily found with google.

I didn’t really look at this but that last 12 minute video “my gift to climate alarmists” is the whole thing in a nutshell.

Those who drive 15/20 mpg SUVs are attracted to the promise of 50 MPG vehicles being required by the EPA. They can buy a 50 MPG vehicle today but they are not interested in these vehicles. The new fuel economy requirements will not change a big SUV into a 50 MPG vehicle, it will eliminate it from the market.

To meet the new fuel economy standards manufactures must sell more hybrid and electric vehicles to offset the common vehicles. Toyota sells a large number of hybrids, others have given up on marketing sedans, Mazda has no hybrid vehicles and now only offers the Mazda3 in the car line.

2 Likes

THIS is the real problem. People want to drive big, heavy, trucks and SUVs, even when their needs would be better met by a compact car with a small 4-cylinder engine. The truth of the matter is that we had fuel efficient economy cars, capable of running 40+ MPG in the late 1980s to mid-1990s, with rudimentary engine controls (by today’s standards). Heck, my 1988 Toyota Corolla wasn’t even fuel injected, and it got over 40 MPG in real-life driving. Many people reported achieving 45 MPG in real-life driving with the Geo Metro and Suzuki Swift.

It should be possible to design a compact car which delivers 50 MPG on regular gasoline with today’s technology. Of course, once this fuel-efficient economy car is designed and built, then the problem becomes market acceptance. Few will buy a $20k economy car, when a used SUV costs the same amount of money…however if fuel prices stay high enough for a long enough time, these attitudes will change. There is no doubt that it would be better for the economy, and for the environment if people drove small fuel-efficient cars instead of trucks and SUVs. One person driving alone, with no cargo, and not towing anything just doesn’t need a 3-row SUV, or a lifted 2500 pickup. A compact car would get the job done just as well.

1 Like

That is about to change, apparently. Mazda just introduced the CX-60 plug-in hybrid in The UK and other parts of Europe, and it is supposedly coming to the US marketplace sometime later in 2023. They claim to have another hybrid, and an EV or two, in the pipeline.

That’s the beauty of a free market. One can buy whatever they want without having to explain it to anyone but themselves, their bank account and, perhaps, their spouse.
I will soon be driving a large truck as soon as Chevy brings it out

2 Likes

You are fortunate im not the chief executive of this country. If i were, you would have to prove you needed a gas guzzling truck before being permitted to purchase one.

3 Likes

Maybe. Ford just announced that they are setting up a separate EV division. Are they doomed to failure? Only if they call it Mercury? GM has 4 car/small truck divisions. They can spare one as their first full range EV division. I can’t see them doing it with Chevy or Cadillac. Of all the names they can most afford to lose Buick as a marque.

I don’t think they are. Ford’s EV division is an engineering group dedicated to EVs that could be sold as anything… Like the well received Ford Mustang Mach E (not a Mustang!! :wink:) Lightening truck and the upcoming Lincoln EV that was supposed to be built on the Rivian platform (but that deal fell through!). Plus Ford/Lincoln isn’t forcing their dealers to “Go Electric or Go Away.”

GM has a similar EV platform engineering group building the basic architecture for every GM EV; Chevy, Buick, Cad, GMC or Hummer. I am sure each brand nameplate has design plans for some EV models. The Buick edict follows a similar one for Cadillac. I’ve not heard of similar for Chevy and GMC.

I doubt they’ll lose Buick as a name. They certainly will lose some Buick dealers but they likely can afford to lose a few.

Who said anything about buying a gas guzzler?

Got one on reservation. Not sure what number I am in line, I made the reservation about half an hour after they started taking them. According to google, there’s already 150,000 orders for the truck

You’re a good man!

Yep, California is kind of like the canary in the coal mine.

Any area with emissions inspections won’t license a failed car.

No dispute, but what does that have to do with Bing’s post above? Or are you referring to another post?

Yes, yours which indicates there’s something wrong with CA not licensing your car.

Nothing known to be wrong w/my Corolla.