GM strikes again

That item on the fake news was first article on Rush LImbaugh’s home page today.

Well I just read an article on the NOAA whistle blower and I think it is a little more devious than some have suggested. The buoy temperature readings on the seas were thrown out and ballast water temperatures from ships were used instead which were higher. Then the computer that had the paper in it suffered total failure so there was no way to go back and investigate any of the findings. Also NOAA refused to comply with congressional subpoenas for clarifying information. And much more.

It’s not really a subject I’m much interested in or know much about, but I can smell a rotting rat as well as anyone. I’ve seen facts and figures altered before to support a particular political end.

You missed my point. YOU made the decision to risk the lives of others that had NO say in that decision. Much like deciding to drive home drunk, you risk not only yourself but others on the road. So maybe you’ve made it home drunk and alive but that doesn’t mean you will the next time. Same goes for cracked tires. Sure, you didn’t crash, this time, but next time?

You can take all the risks you want that apply to you and you alone but don’t involve others.

2 Likes

Quote from Mustangman: "You missed my point. YOU made the decision to risk the lives of others that had NO say in that decision. Much like deciding to drive home drunk, you risk not only yourself but others on the road. So maybe you’ve made it home drunk and alive but that doesn’t mean you will the next time. Same goes for cracked tires. Sure, you didn’t crash, this time, but next time?

You can take all the risks you want that apply to you and you alone but don’t involve others." Unquote

Mr. Mustangman, you missed a larger issue and that would be the “alligators” that are seen along any freeway, truck tire tread recaps that became detached. Truck people know that this happens frequently but they use recaps anyhow. You might want to worry about these. My tires did not come apart. Are you confident in your ability to predict that they might have done that?

I am absolutely confident in my ability to predict something that might happen. You might get hit by a meteorite. Slim chance but I can confidently predict you might get hit. Are you confident enough to guarantee you won’t get hit by a meteorite or that your cracked tires won’t blow?

As for “alligators”, I live in Florida and we know how to deal with alligators. Notice that the semi’s don’t crash when the tire treads are thrown. This is a red herring and it deflects from the larger issue; your irresponsibility.

Can you say your Class C won’t crash when you toss a tread? You can’t.

Science is so not part of the GOP.

Exxon - You may have heard of that company…Now admits that there is global warming…They knew about back in 1981, but continued to fund denier science for decades…And even after that…GOPers are still holding on to the hope that there is no global warming…

Exxon Mobil Web site - Environment | Sustainability

You can hide behind junk science for so long. Eventually you have to accept reality.

The comment on NOAA’s supposed data manipulation deserves a second look. Hopefully this article will help clarify things.

As an aside, it’s pretty widely known that the Daily Mail is the UK’s version of the National Enquirer. Unless we’re next going to lend credence to stories about Bat Boy, we should probably consider other sources before relying on that one.

1 Like

National Enquire and Fox…about the same type of journalism. And both have extremely large readerships.

I buy 90% of my gas from Exxon but I’m not GOP. I dislike both the left and the right-I think they are both a little loony.

Apparently the original source for this article is the Daily Mail, a tabloid in Great Britain. Think National Enquirer for an equivalent paper here. I also saw a similar article in Breitbart News, but the Daily Mail article was older and I assume Breitbart got their feed for Daily Mail. I am skeptical of either of those papers as a good source of news. They may have reported the issue as they saw it after an interview with the former NOAA employee, but I question whether they corroborated the story in any way or if they contacted NOAA for comment. If I read a story, I want to know if it is true or not. I look for more than one source of the information and whether there is irrefutable proof. USA Today provides backup stories on line to corroborate their facts. They also post videos of someone making the quotes they comment on to show that they actually did say that and show the contex of the quote. You can read my other comment about scientific inquiry in a reply to @common_sense_answer above. Again, I am not saying these stories are wrong, but I have a hard time believing them because of the way they are written. If these news outlets continue to follow this story, let me know so that I can follow their coverage too.

Thank you for a reasoned reply to the original article alleging cheating by NOAA. I found them to be straight up honest in my dealings with them in the past. I can understand Mr Bates belt and suspenders attitude in the space biz, but we need to tailor our attitudes for the work we are doing. Not doing so shows poor management technique on Bates part. Good managers not only teach their coworkers, they learn from them.

The problem with discrediting ONE paper is that - well it’s only ONE paper. The amount of data on Global Warming from within the US outside is over whelming. There have been literally THOUSANDS of papers written trying to disprove global warming, but ended up actually confirming it. Global warming was extremely controversial when it was first introduced. It was attacked time and time again. Scientists all over the world started doing their own experiments to disprove it…they couldn’t. Eventually have hundreds of scientists trying to disprove it…it eventually became mainstream science. The same can be said for Einstein’s Theory of relativity…or Evolution…although both of those theories are still rejected by many non scientists.

It’s 25 degrees here today and tonight is getting down to 5 above. Yeah I understand statistics and the difference between weather and climate, but still it’s cold. I still can’t shake the “scientists” that were warning of global cooling a few years ago. Where is this quote from? “I beseech thee consider thou mayest be wrong.” I gotta go warm the garage up so I can get some work done though.

According to the latest article that I read on the subject, 97% of the world’s scientists believe that Climate Change is taking place.

Obviously, that’s a bit shy of 100%, but since there will always be some people who disagree with a particular finding, I think that 97% is a pretty impressive percentage of those who concur that Climate Change is taking place. After all, there are still a few people who believe that the earth is flat, but that doesn’t mean their beliefs have any credence.

And they still say that’s a possibility…If the ice caps melt enough it may desalinize the ocean enough to stop the artic currents…and this could put much of the northern hemisphere into a ice-age. Don’t think those theories are mutually exclusive. One is just a logical next step of the other.

We’re all doomed.

Hi, could we please bring the discussion back to cars (or fuel, or what have you…)? Thanks.