Global warming - combustion engines, NO - jet engines, YES

I’m not talking about black holes. I’m keeping it simple. You said global warming will never be proven until it happens “then it’s too late”? Too late for what? I’ve read the latest report. I understand the projected rise in temperature and rise in sea level over the projected time period. It’s a leap of faith that those changes over that period will result in catastrophe, cause major changes in weather patterns, etc., assuming the projections are even correct (which scientists would admit that they can’t predict with 100% certainty). So, I do not believe that the statements made by climate alarmists (most of whom are politicians and activists, not scientists) constitutes “science”. There’s an article in Forbes by Michael Shelleberger that pretty well lays out my views on the topic, if you’re interested.

Where did you hear that conspiracy theory from? My daughters undergraduate work at MIT she worked with several of those climate scientists. They are NOT politicians. They are research scientists who have well over 30+ years of research and education behind them. And what political scientists are there in India, Chile, Japan, Russia, England, Argentina, Germany, Brazil, Mexico that all have done massive research and tests. The only ones with a political agenda are companies in the Coal industry Oil and Gas and people who are invested in them. They have a financial stake in putting up junk science to discredit the Global Warming theory and anyone who promotes it.

And what scientific knowledge are you basing this on? What scientific evidence do you have that says other.

Sorry, but you really don’t have an even basic understanding on how science works or what a scientific theory is. While I’m just an engineer with over 45 years experience I at least have a basic understanding of scientific research. I’ve written my share of peer reviewed white papers for other engineers in my field to read and comment.

1 Like

I don’t believe you understood exactly what I said. You certainly didn’t refute any of it. I was not calling scientists alarmists. I was stating that most of the alarmists are politicians and activists. Not scientists. Scientists are far more careful about their statements and most of them do not make the apocalyptic claims that are heard in the media. And nowhere did I even say man made climate change was false.

There’s no point in trying to discredit someone who thinks differently than you, Mike. Did you even read the article I mentioned? It’s written by a proponent of man made climate change, fwiw.

1 Like

Settle down boys and girls. 8th grade science class is about to begin so take notes. Interesting reading about the little ice age. Theory seems to be it was caused by a change in the ocean currents, long before any nasty engines. Not too many years ago, everyone was running around concerned about a global winter. When discourse is canceled though, real science looses. Trying to cancel opposing views is anti-science unless just trying to control the dumb populace. Einstein was the best but he spent much time trying to disprove his own work and seeking answers to his general belief and intuition about the principles of physics in the universe. He was right but was dead before proof was found. It’s not smart to ram a particular opinion down people’s throats.

Whatever. I’m done with this thing. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. What have we got left, seven years now? We’ll be in ruins by then anyway.

A bunch of myths in one package, thanks! Regarding the predictions of a ‘coming ice age’, a handful of folks did that, far outnumbered by the folks predicting warming. But glaciers in New York was exciting news, so that got the attention. Regarding the little ice age, obviously climate has changed in the past, that has nothing to do with whether human activities are changing it now (just because there were forest fires started by lightning, does that mean human-caused fires are of no concern? of course not!). Regarding Einstein, his ideas found rapid acceptance and proof, no need to wait until he died.

1 Like

An Airbus A330 uses 5700 kg of fuel per hour, thats 1900 gallons per hour and its about a 6 hour flight. So that would be about 11400 gallons.

well there is one thing I know for sure…Climate is always changing. LOL

How about buses rather than Civics…
With 10 buses, 2800 miles, each would have to get 2.5 mpg to match the jet’s 11,000 gal.

Given the 2800 mile distance, suppose 100 Civics (3.5 passengers each).
At 30 mpg each they would use 9,333 gallons.

At least I passed 8th grade science. How many times did you repeat it? Seems like quite a few.

You should actually read scientific journals instead of mouthing what Fox tells you to. Global winter is still a possibility for the North East US and Northern Europe. It’s one possible path that global warming will cause.

Climate change almost completely destabilizes Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, study finds - The Washington Post

1 Like

Remembering the 70’s global cooling was the big threat. Global cooling - Wikipedia.

And it still is. That theory hasn’t gone away. Global warming can cause the Atlantic Ocean to desalinate. This can/will cause the ocean currents to slow down significantly or stop. If it does this could put much of the North East in North America and Northern Europe into an Ice Age.

We probably won’t see a major effect in our lifetime, but our grandkids might.

If you ever take a trip to Cape Cod, then take a tour of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. My daughter did a lot of work there when she was at MIT.

1 Like

With my limited education I don’ know much about how the global warming works but one thing I have noticed is a different pattern in hurricanes I believe it was hurricane Sandi was the first if my memory is correct that hit the NE ad the recent one Ida caused lol lot of rain and flooding in the NE it used to be when one came up through the gulf we would get at lot of rain and some minor flooding in my area but with Ida we got very little rain and no flooding it all went to the NE. that tells me the weather patterns are changing weather that is caused by global warming I don’t know.

hurricanes paths from the last 100 years.
assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/2699102/video/desktop.webm

2 Likes

Did you actually read the article? 90% of the articles of that period predicted warming, 10% cooling. Got it?

Not yet I guess,

@cdaquila this has drifted pretty far from vehicles.

2 Likes

One of these days I will learn not to post before I’ve had coffee. :wink:

wow , , , great feedback , , so global warming is political ? ? ?
" “this is not serious, it will be gone in a few months, you will forget about it” "
ok, , , good luck with that , , , , heeheehee

Well stick around awhile Son and you’ll see there are certain trigger words or subjects that slip in once in a while that cause great upheaval. Best to be avoided in a car site.

2 Likes

Dragging this back to vehicle emissions and global warming, we’re all smart people here and as my Dad used to says, “You don’t have to wait until the water’s up to your butt to know that it’s raining so take your damned raincoat”.

The point is that whether emissions caused global warming is a theory or established fact doesn’t really matter. Some very smart people are telling us that it’s real, potentially costly and uncomfortable so it’s time to take out “our damned raincoats” to simply to be prepared.

Now we’re at a time when polite discourse seems to have devolved to the Jerry Spinger, fussing and fighting level and thought has fallen by the wayside but let’s take a moment to think about this.

1. IC vehicles are getting 4X the MPG that they did only a short time ago, saving us serious money at the pump and yielding cleaner air…
  2. Electric vehicles, especially in the cities, are more convenient, cheaper to run and yield cleaner air.
  3. Wind turbines and natural gas seems to be sprouting in rural areas like mushrooms after a summer rain providing well paying jobs and yes, cleaner air.
  4. And yes, current jet engines are much more efficient today yielding well paying jobs at aircraft manufacturers, lower ticket prices and again cleaner air.

Seems to me that regardless of your personal/political position, you’d have to be some kind of natural born fool to not take advantage of the economic advantages.
It’s a little thing but for myself over the last year I changed every lightbulb in my house to LED’s, a little more expensive but dramatically cheaper to run and longer lasting. Hoping that my next car will be the same but American made instead of a Chinese import.

And BTW, MIT is a dream school, pity it’s not Vanderbilt or Clemson Engineering, unofficial mottos “We may not be Ivy but you’re going to be working for us”. :rofl: