Gifting Car to Family Member

Which would have been better if he had just said what state he was in . And the rules could have changed from when someone did that in the past .

2 Likes

I am aware, rules wary by State. My family member lives in NJ and I already had checked NJ DMV website and there is NO sales Tax if Vehicle is GIFT between family members.

My Question was not if there is sales tax or not. My question was what should I fill in in Title Sale price either $0 or Gift or Gift ($0). I donā€™t live in NJ so bit confusing which state to go by my home state where I have current title or new state where car is going. It was long weekend and DMV was closed and these days it is getting very difficult to get someone on phone!

OK Sam , how would anyone answer that question when you did not say where you are and what state the vehicle was going to ?

Did you check your stateā€™s rules? No sales tax on gifts in NJ doesnā€™t mean anything if you donā€™t live there. While you are checking, ask your DMV what to put in the purchase price box.

1 Like

The answer is that that you need to go with the NJ rules but as importantly you need to complete the Title Transfer according to NJ rules.

My suggestion since theyā€™re relatives and you have a certain degree of trust, that you sign the title noting GIFT.

• Gift: If the vehicle is a gift, the sales price must be noted as ā€œGIFTā€. If the information appears to be changed or altered, additional documentation may be required by the Motor Vehicle Commission.
1 Like

And, thereā€™s the answer.

1 Like