Geo wipers won't stop

I have a 1995 Geo Prizm with about 150,000 miles on it. I turned it on today and the windshield wipers wouldn’t stop running. I tried turning them on and off; they will run faster but they will not turn off. It seems as if maybe a wire is loose or something that has to do with the washer fluid (which hasn’t worked for a while) and the car thinks that the washer fluid is running. The funny thing is that this only happens when the hood is down. When I open the hood to take a look they start behaving normally, but as soon as the hood is almost closed they start running again. I tried jiggling the wire harness on the wiper fluid container and this will also activate them. I should also mention that it has been raining like crazy all day so maybe it has something to do with moisture. Any suggestions? Is this something I can fix myself?

In most if not all cars the parts that allow the wiper to finish its sweep and park may go out and it could fail in a way that the wipers would not stop a all.