Genuine Toyota Motor Oil

True, but Tilted has some interesting first-hand experience to relate…

1 Like

Internal documents show Exxon mobil as the supplier of bulk oil for Toyota/Lexus. It is delivered to our dealer by Western Refining.

Even though Mobil bottles the oil for Toyota the product may not be identical to the product that Mobil markets under their own label. Toyota oil may be better. But likewise it could be inferior. And the same with the branded filter compared to the filter sold under the Purolater label. There is some certainty that the Toyota brand was totally “adequate” as Rolls Royce once described their products.

But watch out.
just because Mobil makes the Toyota oil doesn’t neccessarily mean any bottle of Mobil oil will be exactly the same.—it very well may be…BUT
The Mobil refinery could possibly be producing it under spec contract to Toyota and there is minute differences.
Could be…can’t prove the theory though.

Just like many major manufacturers build other brand products, from tires and computers to appliances and TVs, it is known that they build to spec. thence, so often , the supposed equivilant is…well…not exactly… Close but no cigar. ( and some are truly equal under many brand names )

–and this is the unknow detail about these products—
Which are truly equal to their brand names and which are not despite comming out of the same factory.

I know that Purolator makes Motorcraft filters too, but I also know they’re made to Ford design specs at Purolator facilities so as to not need to have redundant factories. Purolator makes many labels.

You can buy a Goodyear name tire at Wal Mart but you can NOT buy the same ‘Viva’ name tire at the Goodyear store ( many real Goodyears are available there ). They come out of the same factory built to spec because Wal Mart hires the to ‘‘make us a cheap tire’’…you get what you pay for there.

Toyota trans fluid is special too.

In all likelihood Toyota contracts out the oil to a different manufacturer every 5 years. It’s sent out for bid every 5 years. That’s what most manufacturers do. Toyota is NOT an oil company. And I’m quite sure they don’t sell enough of it for an oil company to make a special formula for them.

Mobil make Toyota oil and transmission fluid. The both are synthetic. I buy Mobil and do my own oil changes. I buy either Napa or Toyota oil filters. Found OEM filters on Amazon for $26 for 5 filters. Do not use anything but Toyota transmission fluid. Mobil puts additives in it just for Toyota.

Do not use anything but Toyota transmission fluid. Mobil puts additives in it just for Toyota.

There are few companies that make the Toyota Transmission fluid. It meets or exceeds Toyota’s WS standard.

The problem is…it’s just as expensive as the Toyota fluid.

If Mobil makes oil for Toyota with special additives, I can’t imagine the Toyota oil is better than Mobil-1, Mobil’s flagship product, which is used unaltered by racing teams all over the world. I’d just buy the Mobil-1 (or another good synthetic) instead of getting oil from the dealer, unless for some reason it’s dirt cheap from them.

Sorry, I’m on an iPod and was just looking but hit the disagree button by mistake to give you three. Couldn’t,t get it back but gave a like and agree to make up for it. My fingers are too big for the touch screen.

You are absolutely correct. The part number for the Toyota synthetic is MOB020 for their late models. MOB for Mobil 1 and 020 for 0w20w. You do not necessarily need to use Mobil one but you must use an equivalent or better oil especially on the GDI models. High shear forces on the camshaft are created by the high pressure fuel pump. Conventional oils will not hold up.

The P/N for Toyota 0W20 motor oil is 00279-0WQTE-01, you might be reading dealer service code, not the Toyota P/N.

Most of the 2006-2010 direct injection engines use 5W30 conventional motor oil.

Anybody else notice that an ADVERTISEMENT appears to have revived a 16 year old thread?

Yes they did and apparently posted wrong information.

As long as it has been revived: How do high pressure fuel pumps affect camshafts?

They don’t. Fuel and/or fuel pressure has absolutely no interaction with the camshafts.

@Gpierce001 would be right back in the old days when we had mechanical fuel pumps that were operated off the camshaft. These fuel pumps were not high pressure like today’s electric fuel pumps located in the gas tank.
Some of those old mechanical pumps had two sections-- the fuel pump section and the vacuum booster section. The vacuum booster section was there to boost the vacuum to the vacuum operated windshield wipers when the car was being accelerated. These two section pumps did sometimes cause wear on a camshaft lobe.

I understand that, have changed out several mechanical fuel pumps. But the OP concerned a vehicle with an electric fuel pump, that is why I asked the question.

Yes, concerned 6 years ago.

Pull quote:

The key to direct injection is a high-pressure fuel pump. This pump is precision-machined to generate fuel pressure to the rail up to 2,500 psi. These high-pressure fuel pumps are typically driven by a camshaft and are able to vary their displacement and output to match the needs of the engine.

;-]

2 Likes