GenericMotors

I need help!!! I have chevy malibu that will decelerate mid trip and the car will not get above 50mph for a few minutes, when this starts to happen, the car becomes sluggish and the check engine light(which is always on) starts to blink, and the car jerks. After 10 minutes it quits doing this and gradually lets me get back up to speed.

Your engine is misfiring. This misfiring is damaging your catalytic converter(s). What may have been a cheap problem to fix is getting more expensive every mile you wait to fix it. You need to get the OBD codes read to know where to start looking.

This does not occur always maybe once a week. Is that sound like the problem that you suggested. Thank you.

Flashing check engine light = misfire = damage being done to the cats.
Get the codes read.

You do not have to take this to a GM dealer for a wallet flush, but you do need to take it to a mechanic for service. A flashing light is serious and is telling you the car needs immediate attention.

Well these guys probably know more about your problem than I, but the last time that happened to me, my fuel pump was falling apart.

Of course, the first thing to do is to change the fuel filter, and then do fuel pressure tests at various engine power settings, in DRIVE>

Of course, change the fuel filter, first. Then, do the fuel pressure checks, at various engine power settings, in DRIVE.

eed to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.