Gastation wants exact change due to coin shortage

When my grocer father-in-law passed away, they found a dozen pony kegs full of coins in his basement. Any time he came across an old or different coin than the current issue, he popped it into a pony keg under the register. But he never had the time to go back through them to see if they were worth more than the face value.

Back in the 70’s a guy in the 40’s on my street died suddenly. He did the same thing. Had buckets and buckets of older coins from penny’s to silver dollars. The pennys were only oak-leaf.

His older brother had his 5 kids sort through the coins. Took them almost a week. The valued coins added up to well over $20,000 - half of that was from 3-4 1955 double die penny’s.

The coins that were only face value (which was about 99% of them) was over $5,000. He had a lot of coins.

And then there was his Baseball Card collection. That’s where the real money was.

And? Don’t leave us hanging! What ended up happening?

I have several steel penny’s minted during WWII that had no copper because copper was needed for war production.

I thought.about counterfeiting pennies. I thought these counterfeit pennies would be great for purchasing Ford gumballs from penny gumball.machines. Unfortunately, it was going to cost me 7¢ to make each penny, so I gave up the idea.

2 Likes

I really hope you are trying to make a joke .

1 Like

On the ZRXOA forum, one guy who lived in Oregon claimed that most pump jockeys will allow motorcyclists to fill their own tanks.

That’s what Grandmothers were for. Always good for a gumball or chocolate whirl whip.

Got a notice from the Credit Union today that they are replacing all debit cards with touch free ones. I don’t know how that works but 'spose it’s something like using your phone. Won’t have to disinfect it I guess. Progress.

They buried him, he was dead.

After they were discovered, my wife’s brother in law took them to his house, intending to go through them. Since, he has also passed away and I never heard any more about them.

I’m not superstitious or anything but things tend to happen in threes. So if you’re given a bunch of coins to go through, just give them back or pass them on to someone else real quick. The odds are not in your favor.

At my age, I don’t have the patience to do that sort of thing any more. I don’t buy green bananas. Anyway, that valuable coin thing is just a racket, but that’s a story for another time.

Yup…US mint issues steel and other alloys for the war years.

Scrap drives were big in WWII, folks would donate the bumpers off their cars, pots, pans, anything metal to the war effort:
http://www.sarahsundin.com/make-it-do-scrap-drives-in-world-war-ii-2/

The hardware store and a nursery I frequent have signs which state:

“No Debit/Credit cards for purchases under $10”

Yes, that is legal (for credit cards, at least) under Federal law, but some businesses take it upon themselves to set a higher minimum for credit card use. The dry cleaner that I patronize has a sign stating that their minimum for credit card usage is $25. If I reported that to Visa/Mastercard/AMEX, they would inform the business that they have to change that policy, lest they lose their ability to accept credit cards at all.

I won’t report that sign because my bill there is almost always over $35, but it is probably only a matter of time before someone does report the store’s policy to the credit card companies.

I have not seen a sign saying no credit card use for less than any amount in years . I have even used our Discover for purchases under 5.00 .

It’s pretty rare nowadays, and my dry cleaner is the only place where I have seen that type of notice for… a long time. On one occasion, I used a credit card at the supermarket for something that was less than $1. I wasn’t sure that it would be accepted, but it was.

That’s right . . . it’s often not posted

But some of those small burger shacks and/or taco stands . . . as an example . . . won’t take credit. Cash only

Not surprising that they don’t take credit cards. The cost to the shop is high relative to the amount of the sale.

1 Like