Gasoline in Hertz Diesel Rental Car

I just returned from Spain and due to my poor Spainish I accidentally put gas into my diesel Dodge Challenger. I realized my mistake and pulled the car over and didnt drive it. Hertz charged me $6500 for this mishap. In my mind this repair is pretty simple, drain the fuel, flush the fuel system, replace the fuel filter and you should be good to go. It shouldnt cost $6500 and there should be no damage to the car. Can anyone confirm my thinking on this. Thanks

Ouch! That’s an expensive rental.

Years ago, a friend of mine accidentally filled up his VW diesel with gasoline, and drove the vehicle until it stopped running (not very far). I don’t know exactly what was damaged, but the repairs were quite expensive.

How far did you drive the car?

I pulled away from the pump and pulled to the side of the station, so maybe a 100 ft and shut the car off.

Well, what is Hertz charging you for? I hope they gave you an itemized bill.

It is the waiver in excess of damage. so no relationship to actual damage

Without knowing what you signed I can’t even begin to guess what that might mean.

I’ll remember this if I’m ever tempted to rent from Hertz.

I think I’d contact a lawyer if I were in your position.

I pulled away from the pump and pulled to the side of the station, so maybe a 100 ft and shut the car off.

Well all that should have been needed is to drain the tank and the fuel lines and add diesel. In no way should there have been any damage done.

However as others have suggested, that may not relate to the answer to your question.