Gasket maker / gasket sealer, etc. what's the diff?

I’m putting a new-used oil pan on my 1999 Honda Civic EX to replace one that is cracked and leaking. I have a new FelPro gasket, blue, made of silicone I think.

The original gasket had a few areas with a grey substance alongside. I used to hear “grey for Japanese cars.” Questions:

Should I get some grey, or use one of the 3 Permatex “gasket maker” I have on hand (orange, red, and copper) and if so which one?

Apply it just where the factory had applied their grey stuff, or where?

I know the torque to use and to do it in 3 steps. This job I want done right the first time.

Does FelPro make an actual gasket for this? If so that’s what I’d use.

Many car manufacturers use a liquid gasket like Permatex during assembly. It’s used to speed up the process and lower the overall cost.

But for replacement you usually can get a real gasket. If you can that’s your best option. I’ve only used Permatex as a last resort.

Use just enough of the gasket maker you have on hand to hold the gasket in place when installing the oil pan.

The color makes no difference.

Tester

2 Likes

My question is what/where to use in addition, because there are remnants of a grey substance in places alongside the factory original gasket.

It’s probably a gasket adhesive. It keeps the gasket in place while you’re bolting up the part.

2 Likes