Gas Tank Problems

I have a '02 Ford Explorer. For about a month now I have had to fill my tank extremely slowly due to goodness knows what!! When I attempt to fuel the truck, I get the hose to the tank full and the pump nozzle clicks. I am down to using a small wedge to get just enough flow where it will not “click”. I have removed the hose down to the tank and have found no obstructions. I notice there is a plastic flapper that is cone shaped and pointing toward the fill hose. I thought someone had this same problem for the guys on the show, but I caught the tail end of it and have not found it in the archives. Admittedly, I have not had a lot of time to make a detail search. Someone, please, HELP!!! I would much appreciate any advice available. Thanks y’all.

There may be an obstruction in the venting system. Another possibility is a clogged charcoal cannister, which can be the result of habitually topping off the tank after the pump shuts off. the cannister problem is about a $400 repair at a dealer. DON’T ask me how I know.

When you found the “plastic flapper” you found the problem. It’s supposed to swing open allowing normal filling but prevent spills in case of an accident. If it sticks shut, it blocks fuel flow while filling. With the cap removed, there is no venting to the carbon canister. That’s automotive Voo-Doo…The vent while filling is ALWAYS out the open filler. It’s not a vent problem.

I never could figure why the open filler is not considered a vent while filling,its not like the pump nozzel and the filler neck form a air tight seal.

A exception I can think of (and I don’t see them here in AZ) were those pump nozzels with the sealing bellows on them. Where did these go to?

A exception I can think of (and I don’t see them here in AZ) were those pump nozzels with the sealing bellows on them. Where did these go to?

The go to a recovery unit at the station. They don’t just seal the connection, they collect the vapor and collect and clean it at a central location at the station.