Gas smell

Recently there has been a strong smell of gas upon entering the driver’s side of the car; it seems to be inside, and appears only after the car has been sitting several hours. It matter not, whether the tank is full or partially full. The dealer can find no gas leak nor sign of any previous leak.

Model year?
Odometer mileage?

Could the driver have walked across a gasoline spill and then got into the car, getting it on the carpet?

The car is a 2007 Jetta with about 29000 miles. And no, I have not walked through spilled gasoline.

Do you know if the dealership checked the evaporative emisssions system? This system is designed to capture gasoline fumes so that they do not escape to the atmosphere. If you are smelling gasoline, and if there is no liquid gas leak, then I think that you have to look to the evap system for the source of the problem.

If an evap system hose is disconnected, or if the carbon canister that is the heart of the system is defective (or gasoline saturated), this could be the source of the smell. When you fill the gas tank, do you ever continue to click the handle on the pump nozzle to force more gas into the tank after the pump clicks off for the first time?

thanks! This sounds like something I can discuss with my dealer. No, I don’t overfill the tank.

Have you had any problems with engine starting lately?

For instance: like having to crank the engine over a little longer than normal to start?

If so, the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator may be full of fuel. Disconnect to see.

thanks, but no – no problems with engine starting. Everything working beautifully.