Gas in oil smell in a 2002 chevy cavalier

replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator but still notice smell of gas and sometimes at start up rough idle.

I’d check if you have a rotten fuel line/hose in the engine bay, or maybe an externally leaking fuel injector

Another possibility is that you have a MASSIVE intake or exhaust leak, and the pcm is commanding more fuel, in an attempt to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio

Some intake leaks somewhat seal up as the engine warms up, thus the rough idle only at cold start up

Let me clarify about the exhaust leak . . . if there is a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, the oxygen sensors will pick this up, and the pcm will command a lot more fuel

The only way gas can get into the oil on a fuel injected engine is either a leaking fuel pressure regulator or a leaking injector.

Tester

@Tester

“The only way gas can get into the oil . . .”

What are you talking about?

Look at the title of the post.

Tester

Gas in oil is common in cold weather with worn rings if the engine doesn’t get fully warmed up. Blow by will do that. So @rexair , tell us exactly what you mean - is this when you smell the dipstick?

@Tester

You’re right . . . I missed that

I wonder why he’s so sure that gasoline has found its way into the crankcase . . . ?

I’m suspecting there’s some vital information missing

such as hard starting . . . or maybe he changed the oil and it smelled like it was diluted with gasoline

+1 to texases’ comment.

Can the OP tell us about the normal driving patterns for this car?
If those patterns include a lot of short-trip local driving, then this problem would not be that unusual with 14 year old engine.

I have a similar problem.mines a 2004 cavalier with the ecotec 2.2. I’ve noticed hard starts in the a.m. you can tell because when the motor rocks, it about rocks the whole car. After first start and idle is high and as it starts to warm up it drops lower and lower until running normal temp between 500-700rpm.is low for this type motor?? And when it’s first started before it’s running at normal temp it’s over 1000rpms. Its also kinda loud on a cold start but as it warms up it gets quiet but there are some odd noises over never heard out of a motor.the shifting is kinda hard and the last few shifts seem to wanna hang for a few secs before it drops.its automatic…was bought for 1700 with only 119000mi. On it. it’s a daily driver short and long hauls.it now has over 133000 mi after a little over a yr.it gets reg oil changes.You can deff. Tell the changes in how it drives in throttle brake and steering. Between the cold run and after it warms.pressure comes and goes.and this morning April 1 2019 7am when around the corner and back just a block away to the gas station and parked home I smelled a 2 cycle like mix when I walked passed.so I popped the hood and it was kinda strong.if needed video upload. I can do.please any ideas is greatly appreciated

If you smell fuel on the dipstick call a wrecker and get the car towed to a shop to immediately drain and refill the crankcase with the proper oil and then find and repair the cause for fuel getting in the oil.

I’m not sure if its on dipstick.it wasn’t supposed to say fuel in oil.it smells like fuel when I’m standing on top of it

Did you pull the dipstick and smell it? And look closely at the stick to see if it’s over filled.

If you smell gasoline under the hood it’s probably a leak happening under there. Gasoline in the crankcase is pretty much contained in there.