Gas fumes danger!

My partner has a Model A parked in our garage and it reeks of gas fumes. He swears he has “fixed” the problem but I still smell it, it wafts into the house.

I am afraid of an explosion but he thinks I am over reacting. He can’t smell anything because he has allergies. My question: Is this a danger for an explosion?

Yes, it’s a huge danger of fire or explosion. I suggest opening the garage door and letting it vent out. Don’t use an electric garage door opener – an electric spark could set it off. Then, push the car out – don’t start it as it could cause an explosion or fire. If in doubt, call your fire department before doing anything.

Twotone

If you can smell them then the potential for combustion exists.

What you’re smelling are airborne hydrocarbon molecules in contact with the oxygen in the air. Hydrocarbon molecules in contact with oxygen in sufficient quantity to smell may be there in sufficient quantity to need only heat energy to initiate combustion.

Twotone’s suggestion to call the fire department is an excellent one. Do so immediately.

just to say, yes this could be a real danger, and the advice so far given is the best you can get. Gas fumes are nothing to fool around with. If you have a natural gas water heater in your garage you need to act quickly before it sets off these fumes. get this space ventilated, and then see if you can track down the cause of the continued vapors and get it to stop.

There’s a reason boats use diesel not gas auxiliary engines if they can. the reason is exactly like your situation. If you can smell gas in a closed environment, be concerned. The model A gets drained or goes outside.

Agree with the above. Your house, and probably your garage, have plenty of ignition sources, like water heaters, anything with a motor, or just static electricity. The fuel system on a Model A is extremely simple, there must be a leak somewhere, it should not be hard to find. It needs to go outside (under a tarp, if need be) until the leak is fixed.

You’re not overreacting by a long shot.

thanks so much for all the information. I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. I know it is just common sense but now that I know for sure I can make immediate and carefull changes. I don’t think my partner believed it could be an issue.
thanks again to everyone who responded.

NONE of these old cars should be kept in garages attached to a dwelling!! Keep that “classic” outside! Gravity feed fuel systems and leaking up-draft carburetors! OUTSIDE with that old junk!

I hadn’t thought about the gravity-feed problem. Diane, what this means is that even when turned off, gasoline will continue to leak out of any break/leak/tiny crack in the fuel system, unlike a modern car, that pumps the gas from a low-mounted gas tank, with most leaks stopping when the car’s turned off. The gas tank on the Model A is up high, in front of the dashboard.