Full Synthetic 0W-20 engine oil change interval

You seem to be advising people who have a Toyota that is still in the warranty period to have oil changes and not have a receipt to prove it . That is a good way for engine warranties to be voided.

Would you happen to have a screen name on another forum ( Will O ) because this sounds a lot like the same thing that was posted there.

1 Like

An important point that you omitted is the number of engines you and your Toyota Master Techs replace each month, this might offer some support to the belief that engine damage is occurring with 0W20 oil.

I’m skeptical of most everything you say. I find it very hard to believe that any auto manufacturer, especially Toyota, is willing to lose thousands, and eventually millions of customers by ruining their engines.

2 Likes

Many cars have 0-whatever, now you are thirtsy, 0-whatever in one glass, water in the other, 0-whatever would not be my choice, but if you consider it water go for it.

Nevada_545:

Then ask yourself WHY even Toyota Master Techs have said so? I’ve spoken to several high-end Foreign car shop owners, who were friendly, willing, and even interested in talking about this subject. The one I liked the best, who knew I was thinking of changing my 2017 Camry’s oil in 500 miles, told me to wait, that it wasn’t necessary to do that soon. So, if he wanted money for an oil change, he would have said, “Oh, yes, you are right. You should have changed it in the first 200 miles.” But he didn’t.

Nor do gear-heads who do everything, and a lot of engine rebuilding. Right in this forum thread, read the guy KEITH, who talks about how his sister or daughter followed the Toyota changes exactly as specified, and then he started changing her oil himself, at 5,000 m. intervals, and was shocked to find that there were heavy amounts of sludge in the oil filter! Imagine what was in the engine! Read MeanJoe75fan. It doesn’t appear you’ve read most of the posts here. If you had, and still think all of us who question oil change intervals at 10,000 m. have nothing to base this on, then I don’t know what else to say.

Do your own research on Google. Of course you’ll find the lemmings who speak the Toyota gospel, saying just follow what Toyota says. The point is that by the time enough damage and wear has been done, the car will be out of its 36,000 m. warranty. How convenient, Toyota! And I thought highly of this company before I dug up the dirt on them, and on other car makers.

Volvo_V70:

No. You misunderstood. I was saying try to get a receipt that says 0W-20. I never said to walk out with no receipt. Toyota may not be able to get out of this one, as 5W-20 was used in the exact same engine a few years back, and they ended up honoring the engine warranty, because it is down in PRINT that they have stated that 5W-20 is perfectly useable, but must be changed every 5,000 m. I still don’t trust them, and think they will try to deny an engine claim IF the Toyota dealer who finds engine problems is going to care at all if 5W-20 oil was used, as they know that this is totally inconsequential and so close to 0W-20, they just want to get paid for putting in a new engine.

The chance that a business is going to print a receipt that is different than what service was provided is really low.

Dealers don’t really care for warranty work because they are paid at a reduces rate .

Give up because you are tilting at windmills .

1 Like

This guy’s either got an agenda . . . or he has an axe to grind. Same thing, I guess

As for that engine oil being akin to water . . . I just don’t buy into it

Many engines spec 0w40, and I’ve yet to personally see any damage BECAUSE that’s what the customer actually used

Seems Toyota Will is saying the manufacturer is wrong, and is knowingly telling the customers to do something which is detrimental to their engine’s well-being

I’m not a big subscriber of conspiracy theories . . . until/unless they can actually be proven

So far, I haven’t seen much to sway me, as far as the engine oil goes

2 Likes

I have read all of the posts here, you should be aware that most are not from automotive technicians. I don’t mean that in a disparaging way, just that most people aren’t exposed to numerous vehicles each day.

I guess that I should get out more, I am stuck in a building 10 hours a day repairing these cars that use 0W20 oil. I have performed thousands of oil changes on Lexus vehicles at between 10,000 and 15,000 miles with no failures found in the shop by myself or the other 20 techs during the last 8 years. All of the sludge issues that I have found were on engines using 5W30.

The powertrian warranty on a Toyota is 5 years/60,000 miles and for Lexus, 6 years/70,000 miles. A CPO warranty can go past 100,000 miles, warranty extensions and a goodwill repairs can be approved on vehicles with up to 150,000 miles. The manufacturers durability interest does not end at 36,000 miles.

Since it appears that you do not work with those Toyota master techs, return to the dealer and check if they really are master certified.

3 Likes

VOLVO

YOU give it up, as you simply keep posting to antagonize & argue. I could care less about your meaningless banter. By the way, any Dealer would take a warranty job on an engine, knowing full well the customer is not going to pay it out of pocket, but will simply go to another Toyota dealer who will do the job, and be glad they got it. BYE, BYE…

db4690:

I’ve no agenda other than the truth. What’s your agenda? should be the question, because you single me out, when many others have posted on this thread the same view as mine. Read it and view the video on Castrol’s site. They certainly know more about the subject than you do, and others who post just to disagree, when they don’t know what they are talking about.

Nevada_545:

The sludge issue posted by KEVIN was discovered by him after his relative’s Toyota Care ran out. So that contradicts your Toyota-can-do-no-wrong stance, and 0W-20 oil at 10,000k is fine theory.

There are other mechanics posting here, who also work on cars for a living, like meanjoe75fan, and he and others don’t agree with your opinions. Quite to the contrary.

You’ve made your same points earlier in the thread, making it appears you want to promote Toyota and deify them.

As far as finding sludge from synthetic 5W-30 oil, I don’t believe that for one second, unless the oil was in there 10,000 m.

No engine should run any oil for 10,000 m. Regardless of whether it is synthetic or regular oil, the additives are depleted after miles of combustion eat away at them, and degrade the oil. Any mechanic who is competent should know these basics, but I’m finding there are a lot who don’t. That’s why so many people end up with screw-up jobs from dealer service shops, and from private garages, even so-called high-end ones that work on Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Toyota is simply interested in meeting CAFE requirements, and is more interested in not getting fined than they are interested in their customers. It’s all a game to make money, and the more devious the tactics, the more money made…

I think ToyotaWill wears a tinfoil hat.

1 Like

I am not new on this message board, there are only three currently employed technicians that participate here, you have not recognized them.

I don’t own a Toyota, most of my career has been with Chrysler, I own several Chrysler products. I have reported my observations with respect to engines using 0W20 engine oil.

The pre 2010 Toyotas used conventional 5W30, those are the engines that I found sludge in.

It is reasonable to fear new procedures based on what was learned in the past but if you opened these engines on a regular basis you would see that there is not a lubrication problem.

1 Like

Nevada_545:

You dismiss meanjoe75fan when he clearly states he works on cars as a mechanic. He was by far not the only mechanic who frowned upon thin oils and 10,000 mile changes. Sorry, this is based on posts you insist don’t exist.

Yes, there are mechanics who agree with Toyota. There is obviously differences of opinion, and each camp insists they are right. For me, there are too many mechanics and blogs that don’t agree with Toyota (& other mfrs.)

I have no reason to believe you are stating anything false as far as your experiences are concerned.

So, let’s agree to disagree. Sorry I wrongly assumed you worked on Toyotas, which I am concluding from your post that you do not.

oldtimer says he thinks I wear a tin foil hat, but I think oldtimer_11 wears a clown hat.

I do work on Toyota products, that is how I have experience with engines operated on 0W20 oil but I don’t own one.

FWIW The engine in Meanjoe’s truck failed due to oil loss. He is having trouble with the replacement engine, you might read his tread and ask him what his profession is (I know he is a tax accountant during tax season).

1 Like

No clown hat but my shoes could be mistaken for clown shoes. I had a friend who restored an MG TD and I said I had always wanted to drive one. He said “take it around the block”.

I tried, but I could not get both feet down the tunnel to the pedals. I took off my shoes, still no go. I could get one down or the other but not both at once.

1 Like

@ToyotaWill,
Here’s an idea for you. Instead of ranting and insulting people that you clearly no nothing about. And complete car companies you just don’t agree with. How about this? Don’t by a Toyota, don’t speak on matters you know nothing about but first and foremost stfu and leave the adults alone.

2 Likes

PvtPublic:

Here’s an idea for you. Instead of you ranting & insulting me, a person YOU know nothing about, and thinking you have have the right to tell me “…don’t speak on matters you know nothing about,” , I would suggest not speaking on matters you think you know everything about that you clearly know nothing about. Take your own curse word abbreviation of stfu and “leave the adults alone”, and apply it to yourself. You have the audacity to think you can dictate to me with your “Don’t buy a Toyota” I already have a Toyota. So, take your own words and apply them to yourself. And, yes, leave the adults alone and stay with your age group.