Full Synthetic 0W-20 engine oil change interval

Yikes!!! Mazda FZ fluid is spec’d for the SkyActiv transmission and although Valvoline says their fluid is compatible it is NOT approved by Mazda. There are reports of transmission shudder in SkyActiv transmissions using Valvoline synthetic transmission fluid. Mazda FZ is $15 a quart and drain and fill takes 5 quarts. Most dealers want two hour for the work because it is a pain in the rear to access the fill port. Right now I have more money in my pocket, the correct fluid in my transmission, and I am following the manufacturer’s INSTRUCTIONS (not even a recommendation).

For several years back in the 90s Ford had a DO NOT SERVICE label stuck to their transmission pans. The local dealer said to ignore it and I did.

4 Likes

This is more than a sticker. This is written guidance from Mazda. It is specific and direct and says “do not service unless replacing”. When my service writer says he is following the same maintenance regiment that I am, I feel pretty good.

so far I did not develop any shudder, quite contrary, 4K miles and ticking

I’ve also found some references on Mzada forums where shudder was present on OEM fluid and it disappeared after flush (I’m not specifically drawing attention to replacement fluid)

likely it is impossible to prove or disprove anything here, as these rare instances are blimp on the radar of the rest of people who will use “lifetitme” fluid and will dispose of car before we will learn what lifetime ment

As for the post count, I saw several threads on the original Car Talk Rant and Rave forum top 1,000 posts and on that forum a new post would not bring the thread to the top. Those long threads would be many pages back and require some digging to return to.

1 Like

So you think that Mazda would put directives in writing to their service advisers and customers that they shouldn’t change their transmission fluid and take the chance that one of the most expensive components in the vehicle would fail prematurely? Interesting. As a compliance and legal expert I would say that they are either complete fools or very confident in their guidance. At 110,000 miles (almost) my transmission shifts like new with no slipping, shuddering, or lurching. If you like to spend more money on maintenance and it makes you feel better then you should do it. I will stick with the manufacturer’s guidance. So far it has worked perfectly and I have had no issues, other than a bad rear wheel bearing at 62,000 miles.

Manufacturers are well aware of the lawyers poised to swoop in and sue them in class actions if they screw up on design or maintenance. Don’t think for a minute that any maintenance intervals and guidance aren’t well thought out to protect the manufacturer down the road.

I’m not asking others to follow, I’ve shared my experience.

thank you for your perspective and for sharing that somebody made complaint about Valvoline Maxlife apparently

1 Like

Here you go, just like in elementary school

:star:

Of course, he gets a new Mazda every 3 years…

(Going for 400!)

;-]

2 Likes

Estimated read time of 79 minutes. Don’t do it folks.

1 Like

Well, no he doesn’t. My service writer is a nice 20 something kid who bought his Mazda 6 used from the dealer. He does not get a new Mazda every 3 years and, in fact, has only had his 2014 for a year. Give me some credit. I was born at night, but not last night.

Politely asking you to cite your source is not an attack. It’s an inquiry for the truth, a truth you seem rather intent on concealing. Wouldn’t that look suspicious to you if you were on the other side?

2 Likes

Well, no credit for a sense of humor…

;-]

2 Likes

Back when this web site had a “Rant & Rave” section, post would regularly go this long and longer, much longer.

4 Likes

I checked the ATF in my Subaru’s sealed transmission at around 60k and it looked just like brand new. No discoloration.

I’m going to go into this one more time. Lets be civil. Challenging someone’s beliefs (about vehicle subjects) or “facts” is NOT a personal attack. Calling someone childish or a cry baby is. Lets keep this on a semi professional level OK.

If you don’t like your views being challenged and you think you are absolutely correct, present more facts and references to back up what you say instead of getting defensive, or let it go. As for beliefs, some will simply not let the facts get in the way of their beliefs so, their vehicle, their money, their business. Let it go.

3 Likes

In military aviation we called it a solution desperately seeking a problem.

1 Like

Wow! I have never been called a “bully”. I like it. I feel somewhat empowered. Thank you.

3 Likes

The two very knowledgeable service advisors at the Kia dealership drive GMC pickups. Maybe I should worry.

1 Like

You have been far from polite, actually you have posted a number of nasty posts about and to me. So don’t write to me, couching your words as niceness, when you can’t stand me. THAT’S suspicious.