Full Synthetic 0W-20 engine oil change interval

Ever hear of vacation . . . ?

I’m merely disagreeing with the guy

Toyotawill’s the one who’s attacking us

1 Like

@keith

Thanks for asking for civility. You’ve shown much more of it than many others. It’s obvious that your response was precipitated by my response to just one of db4690’s endless attack responses, where you read the copy & paste of his own words. Your comment is right on the money, but I don’t expect it will change db4690’s modus operandi. I don’t think I need to point out that his reply to you is a perfect example of his trying to change the facts and slither out of the true nature of his responses, by stating “I’m merely disagreeing with the guy. Toyotawill’s the one who’s attacking us.”

I will not waste my time responding to him again, period, and for reasons that any objective person who has read his posts to me would fully understand why.

I don’t know where you come up with those @Barkydog. Reminded me though, my roommate who is in the South Dakota music hall of fame, rest his soul, tried to teach me how to play the guitar. I always wanted to but never could just get it. Back to, gulp, oil.

I am a person that enjoyed many types of music over many years, I am glad I reminded you of your friend and brought back memories. I cannot weld like my friend, rest his soul, though he tried to teach me, but I am sure if I tried to show him how to do an sql query he might not do as well as I.

was it not said (repeatedly?) higher in the thread?

you joined under 1 week ago, this is the first thread you ever got involved into, 226 messages so far…

ask a question: how could this community survive for so long if it was filled with venomous/hatefully people you seem to think here are?

would you mind to take a breath and look into the mirror, please?

3 Likes

You either get it or you don’t. My dad was a musician for years, enough so in his youth that that was his vocation, until circumstances forced him to get a “real” job. But even 20 years later he would still have gigs on weekends for fun and extra money. He had to have a car big enough to hold his Fender Bassman amp and speaker. Luckily I was born early Saturday afternoon so dad could still make his gig that night.

Anyway, dad was never a patient or kind man. When I was about 8 he tried to teach me a few chords, ending about 20 minutes later with him yelling “Ah you’re stupid, forget it.” Guitar, piano, heck, I can’t even whistle a tune.

Please read all the engine issues, and the plethora of other issues, that Toyota owners have had. What bothers me the most is that, although most of them are from past years, many are in the AR 4 cyl., which has been in production since 2008. I realize they have had changes to the AR. I would guess they were both necessitated by their glaring, inexcusable design flaw, and hopefully by getting better engineers who got this to be a dependable and classic engine. Now replaced in 2018 by what I’ve heard is an even better engine, & ditto for the V6.

I find it hard to believe there are not junked engines from the severity of some of these past problems. From reading on Consumer Affairs (which, by the way, they claim the following)

948,685 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.

Being a Camry owner, I certainly wasn’t thrilled to read all these issues, with Toyota having near the highest number of complaints and issues of car manufacturers. From the number of TSB’s, there were certain years they had way more problems than others, but one must take into account that the newer the car, the longer it takes for problems and design flaws to show up.

So you are a mechanic, but you don’t say if you are in a dealership or an independent garage. What percentage of cars are Toyotas that you work on?

As far as your comment on me making claims about a conspiracy re: CAFE standards, you can’t disprove there isn’t one, nor did I use the word conspiracy. There are comments all over car forums about how CAFE standards are responsible for forcing car mfrs. to redesign not just their engines, but their entire cars to meet them. It is the arm of the EPA, coming down from directives from those who were/are in power in the WH, who have, IMO, taken this to unnecessary, extreme levels. The amount of pollution trucks, trains, airplanes, and much from the developed industrial world create isn’t, in many cases, addressed at all. So this would turn into a political discussion, which perhaps would get to the level of being considered off-topic.

I understand why you wouldn’t go 10,000 miles in your 1999, or 2002’s. You have an oil monitor system in your new Cadillac. I have none in my Camry. And only time will tell if this type of monitoring system will truly be able and accurate to do what it claims to do. For your sake, and that of other owners of cars equipped similarly, I certainly hope so.

Had trouble finding that info, can you provide a link, and it will be interesting to see the ratio of positive to negative.

Blockquote
thegreendrag0n11m
ToyotaWill:
I will not waste my time responding to him again, period
was it not said (repeatedly?) higher in the thread?

you joined under 1 week ago, this is the first thread you ever got involved into, 226 messages so far…

ask a question: how could this community survive for so long if it was filled with venomous/hatefully people you seem to think here are?

would you mind to take a breath and look into the mirror, please?

Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror. You and Waterbuff have spared endlessly earlier in this thread. And, if you fail to view the many very nasty comments that have been hurled at me, you need to do some re-reading.

Barkydog,

Here is the link. Scroll down to read what little I pasted here from the site that seems to be what you are looking for. They also refer you to read from a FAQ’s section, which I haven’t done. The site is somewhat complicated. If you then click on ConsumerAffairs logo at the top left, you’ll go to a home page, If you place “Toyota” in the search box, you’ll get a list of topics, and it doesn’t bring you to the Toyota ratings page you were originally on. I just haven’t had the time to spend on learning how to navigate this site effectively.

By the way, I read your dialogue with Bing. I was/am a professional musician for most of my life in the evenings.

Maybe an edit is needed, as I see no link, but to keep it car related what musical instrument did you carry in your car on the way to a gig.

I’ve never owned a Toyota and doubt I will but I made it as far as the guy that was upset that they wouldn’t replace his hood or trunk latch that broke.

Toyota is the largest automaker in the world. All car companies have consumer complaints against them. It stands to reason that they would be at or near the top of the complaint list but I believe they would be fairly low on the # of complaints per car. I have had a Toyota for 6 years no repairs just tires, brakes and wiper blades. one daughter has had her Toyota for 8 years, same thing. The other daughter has had Toyotas for 13 years she blew the engine in her 2004. Guess which daughter refused to check he oil even after her engine was making noise? Everything I have said is statistically insignificant, Just like you talking to a lot of mechanics. Do you think your anecdotal experience trumps the amount of researck that Toyota did before making the change ?

A mechanic is not a research engineer, he may have preferences based on experience but they are nowhere near as compelling as actual testing and analysis.

This is my last post on this thread, although you have been given every opportunity to present your case, you just keep repeating yourself and as far as I can tell have convinced no one. That is statistically rare.

1 Like

That is not true, medium and heavy duty truck emissions standards have been tightened several times over the last 20 years. It is very rare that I see diesel exhaust smoke from a large truck.

Most of the 0W20 oil changes that I perform have been at 10,000 miles or more during the last 8 years on Toyota products, we are not replacing engines for lubrication problems.

Other manufactures have had similar maintenance schedules or longer. When I worked at Chrysler dealers the Mercedes products had 10,000 mile oil changes, back in 2003.

1 Like

Yes you do. You have the owners manual and the odometer. I know with you I probably shouldn’t do this, but I will make the assumption you also have access to a calendar since the oil is a mileage/time interval.

Just because you and a “number” of mechanics and a “major player” don’t agree with the manual doesn’t mean it is wrong.

2 Likes

ToyotaWill:
I will defend your right believe that 0W-20 is harmful and that 10K OCI is too long. You’ll always be able to find many who agree with you.

But the reality is that train left the station. There is nothing to discuss. Tens of millions of cars on the road have been using 0W-20 and extended OCIs for years. Europe has been doing the extended OCI successfully at least a decade before the US market.

Yes, you will always be able to find examples of a car that does only short trips and should have changed the oil more frequently. That’s been true ever since OCIs went from 2K to 3K to 5K to 7.5K to 10K, and it will never change.

3 Likes

I have no idea. I can say that of the 14 cars we had yesterday 4 were Toyota/Lexus if that helps you.

Time has already told, and the system works very well. No hope needed. In 2033 when my wife is driving her 15 year old car with no engine problems I’ll post back to verify.

1 Like

Please don’t use me as somehow explaining or rationalizing your behavior – especially given how I brought up some facts to you in the discussion 4 days ago and you did not respond.

And also, your use of “spared endlessly” is clearly an exaggeration, which doesn’t help your image nor the views you are trying to communicate.

1 Like