Fuel

Would it be conceiviable to convert a 1964 buick estate wagon to run on hydrogen or natural gas

Sure. Why not. How much money do you have?

Seriously, '64 Buick Estate wagons ran on internal combustion engines no different in principle than modern engines. The only real difference is that the modern fuel systems make better use of the energy available in the gasoline and parts are lighter and fit better. Well, okay, there’s tha intelligent valve timing too.

Try forums specific to the question. Hydrogen or LNG conversion forums. I’ll bet you’ll get bunches of information.

Just make sure you’re safe - going from a liquid to a high pressure gas introduces lots of opportunities for leaks. I’m not aware of any ‘home made’ hydrogen conversions, also.

Conceivable? Yes.

Practical and affordable? NO.

Hydrogen? Absolutely not.

Natural Gas? Maybe.

But!

The conversion would likely cost more than you’d ever save in fuel costs, and the potential for disaster is great.

Find another hobby.

Did you win the lotto and trying to figure out what to do with all that money?

realistically, the CNG/propane could be done, but wouldn’t be worth it. Hydrogen? forget it

The good news is that you have no emission standards to meet so you don’t have to argue with the regulators about modifying your car. Also, no computer controls to modify or replace.

The bad news is that your compression is probably too high for natural gas. I don’t know anything about what it takes to run a piston engine on hydrogen, but I would be very cautious about trying it.

Do some homework. If you decide to try it, let us know how it turns out.

Actually the conversion to Natural gas or Propane is NOT that complicated (especially for a carb equipped car).

But there won’t be any savings. And you’ll see a DRASTIC reduction in performance and gas mileage.