Fuel pump 101

Yup!
With my CIS-equipped '74 Volvo, I had to have my mechanic “adjust” things just before state emissions inspection in order to pass, but in the process I had to deal with an engine that idled like crap. Then, as soon as I could get back to the mechanic after the state inspection, he would “de-adjust/re-adjust” it so that the engine idled properly.

So, in addition to the mechanical and electrical repairs that began to mount after the first year, I had two extra visits to the mechanic every year–one in order to be able to pass the emissions test, and another visit shortly thereafter in order to make the car drivable.

Re adjusting the CO, are ‘we’ speaking of the Looong allen wrench and the dash pot? Are there any cars still operating with that type fuel injection?

Yup, I don’t know about the dash pot, but it was a Looong allen wrench, like you said

1 Like

It’s been many years since my last aggravating soiree with one of those injection systems and I must admit that in the end it was a “seat of your pants” technique to get that contraption to operate just satisfactorilly for me.

2 Likes

There’s a CIS website on the internet (name I’ve forgotten…) and the operator of that site swears that CIS is the greatest fuel injection system since sliced bread became popular.

According to him, CIS NEVER, NEVER, NEVER acts up as long as the fuel filter is changed now and then. Also according to him CIS never needs to be touched or adjusted for any reason whatsoever.

Now back on planet Earth where CIS was buried back in the late 80s for good…

2 Likes

It seemed like a very practical and logical system. But something got lost in the final blue print.

…and we had a poster a few years back who was of the belief that the GEO Metro was the pinnacle of automotive design, and that no other vehicle could ever compare to the excellence of that little car. :confounded:

All I can say is that delusional people come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and their motivations for believing something that defies all available evidence are…puzzling, to say the least. However, the main thing that differs from one of these folks to another is the exact topic about which they are delusional.

1 Like

The “R” word (repair) is never mentioned in the automotive manufacturing/sales business.

I rented a Geo a few times. Certainly not a car to relax in. More like driving a go kart on the freeway.

1 Like

Do you remember ever seeing/riding a “Wild Mouse” ride at a County Fair? It’s like that!
CSA :smile:

1 Like

Perfect analogy actually…:grin:

Actually, now that I think about it, it’s probably like Slalom Skiing too! :ski:

Maybe in-tank fuel pumps usually last the life of the car because they run cooler so it doesn’t matter so much that you have to drop the tank in the rare case that one fails.

Not really

I replace lots of fuel pumps on the trucks in our fleet, and they’re all “in-tank” as you said. And in several cases, the vehicles are only a few years old. It can be a real chore to drop some fuel tanks