Fuel additives how often should you use them

Fuel additive are not recommanded by vehicule manufacturers. To me, its just a waste of money.

Rascal, did you notice that this is a 7 year old thread?

1 Like

To bring the thread up to date ā€“ Never buy cheap gasoline. The reason some gas is more expensive is because it has the needed additives in it. When you shop for cheap gas and save 7 cents per gallon you will save $1.05 on 15 gallons. Is it worth it in the long run? Cheap gas will go bad quicker, carbon-up valves, foul carbs, or foul injectors. You can pay at the pump or you can pay later.

Make sure it is gluten free water!

I did not notice that. Perhaps the webmasters could setup a program that would block new responses after 6 months.

We have gone over this many times already. There is not a way to blanket close threads like there was in the previous format. All one has to do is look at the date on the right side of the screen.

Maybe old posts are more readily visible on Windows. I am using an iPad, there year is not that notice, guess I will have to train myself to look for it.

As far as closing threads canā€™t be done. Iā€™m sure it could be done. Example, I use the VA. Missed an appointment I was not aware of. I called the VA, was told it was impossible to email reminders. Six years later both email and text reminders!

I agree with Gpierce001. Itā€™s just software. Fix it.

Itā€™s sadly not. See @cdaquila response in another thread:

:smirk:

ā€¦Unless you buy your gas at Costco.
Costcoā€™s gas is Top-Tier compliant, andā€“at least in my neck of the woodsā€“is anywhere from 2 cents to 20 cents per gallon cheaper than the competition which frequently sells gas that is NOT Top-Tier.

My nearest real town (not jerk-water) (has a Wal-Mart and everything!) is 20 miles away. Itā€™s small, 2 traffic lights, but 7 gas stations where they practice price fixing, religiously. Every station has the exact same gas prices all the time (higher than in neighboring areas).

The Top Tier gas is the same price as the other gas with no additives. Speedway is not Top Tier (that I can determine), but they give some reward points. Shell is Top Tier and my Shell Rewards gives me 10 cents per gallon discount.

Bottom line here is that for me the best gas in town costs the least.
CSA

Thatā€™s true about Costco gas, itā€™s good, nice if you have one close by, which I donā€™t. I will not buy gas from Walmart (generally Murphy Oil Co). I buy from a neighborhood jiffy store that sells Shell gas for only about 5 cents more than Walmart. Plus the lady who owns the store is as nice as can be. Iā€™m retired and donā€™t burn a lot of gas.

Unless you are having fuel system problems, error on the infrequent side, and for the amount, too little is better than too much. The engineers who designed the gasket chemical compatibility matrix for the vehicle likely werenā€™t planning on the car owner doing this, so thereā€™s some risk, but running a small can of Seafoam or other injector cleaner through the gas tank once a year is probably ok.

Yup

Costco is top-tier rated and is cheaper than Arco, which is itself pretty cheap

Hereā€™s a little advertising blub on Costco gasoline. They claim it helps keep the injectors and other parts cleaner. Iā€™ve heard before ā€“ more like a rumor ā€“ that Costco uses an injector cleaner additive in its gasoline.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html

Being Top Tier, the Costco gas has more additives, so thatā€™s more than a rumor.

4 Likes

For years we never had Top Tier gas in my area. When we finally got one brand (Citgo), I was prepared to pay more. However, like your case, the station near me turned out to be one of the cheapest around, not to mention that they keep the pumps clean and in good shape, so itā€™s an easy decision where to fill up now.