Front end work on a Plymouth Voyager

I used to do most of my own maintenance; in the '80s I owned a 1962 Plymouth Fury. I replaced bushings and shocks, rebuilt the (318) engine, and numerous other fixes while I was in the Navy. I bought the car in Texas, drove it to Orlando for two years, took it back to Texas and placed it in storage for a year, then drove it out to San Francisco, San Diego, around the LA freeways for three years, then back to Texas where I drove it for another year…I think I got my fifty bucks worth out of it!

Starting in 1990, though, I’ve been purchasing new cars. First a 1990 Horizon, which I drove until it was totaled in 1999; then a 2001 Neon, which I passed on to my niece when she turned 16; then a 2008 Avenger, which I drove until it was totaled in 2015 (see a pattern here?), and then a 2015 300 which was a fantastic car until a 90 year old lady decided to seek the answer to the question: What do you get when you cross a Chrysler with a Cadillac?

Well, in this case it was a totaled 300 and about $1500 worth of net equity…which was enough to pay cash for a 1999 Voyager with 2.4 liter 4-cylinder…and working air conditioning (very important in Texas!)!

It’s drivable as is, but there’s a lot of work I want to do as funds permit. Right now I’m looking at the front end. I ought to replace the passenger side strut, and I’m planning to do the work myself, but while I’m in there I’d also like to take care of the brakes and anything else which is convenient. CV boots, maybe, or even bearings, although they all seem OK now. What would the more experienced members here suggest that I plan on? Also, what should I have on hand in the way of spare fasteners and such in case the 20-year-old ones prove difficult to remove?

Any other suggestions for a 20-year-old Plymouth north of 300K miles? I have no idea when the timing belt was last replaced, and I definitely plan on a transmission flush and filter change. Other things to keep in mind? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, junk it! The amount of work needed to keep this vehicule roadworthy will probably exceed its value.

I agree, it’s well past it’s expiration date.

What symptoms indicate the need for front end work? Sway bar bushings can harden and shrink, giving a clunking over bumps, but no harm or danger. The strut towers on that generation can rust - usually the finale for the vehicle, not worth repairing, but not so common in the unsalted states.

Always replace struts in pairs.

As @shanonia stated, the swaybar links (and bushings) are a very common cause of front end clunking.

Unless they are showing signs of wear, I wouldn’t replace the wheel bearings or CV boots.