Front driver side wheel makes noise whenever I hit the brakes. What parts need to be replaced?

You believe? You could look at it and see, after all brakes are sort of important. And if it is a brake pad, and you still need to ask about driving the car, please just hang up your keys.

4 Likes

Perhaps you should consider delivery pizza instead of people.

1 Like

Your own observation should have answered the question for you.

For the sake of your paying passengers, yourself, your wallet, and those with whom you share the road, you need to have the car towed to a competent mechanic’s shop.

2 Likes

Done for business, the repair is a deductible expense from income. DIY, the parts are deductible, but your labor is not.

2 Likes

You now really need to have it towed to a shop. After parts fall off two things happen: the brake assembly no longer looks like it should, so you don’t have a go-by for replacing the pads and rotor. Second, and more important, parts are likely now damaged, and you need somebody who knows brakes to go over them to make sure the correct repairs are made. You do not have any experience in this, you really need a pro.

4 Likes

I learned today that Uber provides a free towing service for regular drivers. I just had the car towed now.

Thanks guys!

2 Likes

Hey guys,

So the mechanic took a look at the car and said the front brake pads, rotors, and one calibur has to be replaced. This is understandable.

He said the total cost of repair will be $1,036. Can you tell me if this sounds like a reasonable price?

I recently moved to a new state and this is my first time at this auto shop.

He said:

Caliber- $350
Pads- $104
2 break disc’s- $171.98

The remaining cost is for labor.

I think that’s a reasonable price for that amount of brake work. It’s not a bargain, but it would be hard to find a good shop to do a good job for much less than that I expect. As noted above, if brakes fail to the point of the wheel’s not turning freely, or you hear something fall off, there’s no other choice than to have the car towed. Both your safety and other driver’s safety are at risk when that happens. A diy’er might remove the wheel and inspect the situation in the parking lot just in case a simple remedy is available. But without doing that look-see, towing is the only option. Good for you for getting it towed and the car seems like it will soon be back on the road. I’d suggest you spring for oem-equivalent brake pads & rotors purchased from a Toyota dealership. Aftermarket good-quality caliper is probably ok.

As far as replacing pads yourself, I’ve done that job on my Corolla and my prior VW Rabbit. On both, it was a pretty simple job. You need to follow the manufacturer’s written procedure of course, and you need to be able to lift & support the car in order to remove the wheel and work under the car safely. Don’t try any sort of mickey-mouse methods as work-around for doing the job safely. Replacing rotors, that job can be a little to a lot more difficult, depends on the braking system design. May be obvious, but when working on jobs that involve a lot of small parts, like brakes, take photos of how it all fits together before removing anything. And only do one side at a time, so you always have the other side’s parts configuration to reference.

1 Like