Front caliper dust boot torn / damaged

2007 corolla 64K original factory calipers. I bought pads and rotors today to replace my front brakes. When I removed the right caliper I noticed that the boot was danaged ( about 1" long tear ). but does not leak. I put the pads and rotors on anyways.
What would be the normal repair for this Leave it, replace thr boot, replace the whole caliper or replace both calipers. This also has ABS. I have never bleed ABS brakes before. What is the best way for a DIYer to bleed this type of brakes.

When the piston dust boot becomes damaged, you wait til the next brake job and then replace the calipers along with the rotors/pads.

Bleeding?

It depends on the vehicle with the ABS.

Tester

If you’re winter driving includes snow and salt you might want to plan on replacing both calipers preemptively. If your weather is mild and dry it probably would last a few more years.

Hmmmm?

And I live in Minnesota.

Tester

Thanks for the replies. Red Knox, I live near Seattle mild winter lots of rain. Tester, I use to live in Minneapolis

I wouldn’t trust a caliper with a torn boot to function properly for very long. Replacing the caliper is probably the most cost-effective route. A good service manual will detail the bleeding procedure.

I’d have probably replaced both calipers if I discovered the boot on one was torn as part of doing the brake job. Bleeding the ABS varies car to car. It’s usually best to do it with the aid of the factory scan tool so the solenoids can be cycled as the bleeding is being done. Best to consult your factory service manual for what’s required and what’s just “convenient” but not a strict requirement. It’s important when pushing the caliper pistons back in so the new pads will fit to release the fluid pressure by loosening the bleeding valve on the caliper first. Otherwise you risk pushing brake fluid residing in the brake line back into the ABS, which can sometimes cause problems you don’t want. If you have any doubt at all, good idea to consult a shop to verify your work.

There is another alternative to replacing the caliper. Buy a caliper seal kit for $10 or so and just replace the dust seal. Push the piston all the way in and use a small plastic pry tool to pry out the dust seal. No fluid will escape so you won’t have to bleed the system. Blow out any crud and replace the seal. Cheaper than a rebuilt caliper.

2 Likes

With a questionable caliper, get into the habit of feeling both front wheels after a drive every few days. One warmer than the other = more drag and time to act.

Sorry, I seem to have lost my ability to link in addresses due to a software glitch, but you if you Google “Toyota parts overstock” you’ll find a good source for individual parts like the slide boots, as well as excellent exploded-view drawings.

Insightful’s suggestion is a good one, but be careful… a dragging caliper can easily raise the temperature of a wheel center upwards of 250F, and you can burn yourself if you don’t use care.