Freaky Ford

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer that when it starts in the morning sounds like a tractor and stalls out till it warms up after 5-10 minutes. This is of course wasting gas and I’ve replaced spark plugs and wires and 2 oxygen sensors. After the truck warms up it runs fine but it’s very frustrating in the morning and good that I have a strong battery-check engine light is on-what could be the problem?

What size engine do you have? Did you have the codes scanned? I had this problem with my 2000 Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC V6. I had a recurring Check Engine light with code P0171, System Too Lean, Bank1. Turns out the problem was the intake manifold gaskets. It’s a common problem, and Ford has a TSB out for them. I got a Felpro set from Autozone for $16. Make sure you get the upper and lower set to prevent doing the job twice. They look like this:

“check engine light is on-what could be the problem?”

Via cyberspace, nobody can give you an accurate assessment, but if you have the stored trouble codes read with a code reader, that will lead you–and us–to some possible solutions. If you go to an auto parts retailer (Auto Zone, Advance Auto, possibly Napa), they will read the codes for you without charge–in the hope that you will buy parts from them in order to fix the problem.

Come back to this thread, and post the codes (they will be in a format similar to “P0123”), and we can be fairly specific with our advice. And, for those of us who don’t live on a farm perhaps you can explain what a tractor sounds like…
;-))