Foreign Muscle V. BBC Muscle

For raw power, torque, and ease of use which (in your humble opinion) is the best engine for the most power? I have heard some talk about 2.0 and other small engines putting out 800 HP per liter, but have to ask is that a reliable amount of HP?

Also, I have seen zz572 BB chevys put out 2000 hp and 2000 Pounds torque.

So my question is this: Will raw american CI always overpower “tweaked” imports on a raw power basis?

“Also, I have seen zz572 BB chevys put out 2000 hp and 2000 Pounds torque.”

Really?? Where did you see that? Speed costs money…How fast do you want to go? It’s just a matter of dollars, not any particular engine…

It’s interesting to note that the Caddy CTS-V with a SB Corvette engine (Chevy Small Block, push-rod V8) humbles fancy European performance cars that cost 2 or 3 times as much…Fill it up with regular please…

Probably the most powerful stock engine out there is the Bugatti Veyron, and thst’s 1001 HP. I’ve never heard of a 2000 HP stock engine.

It’s a mistake to believe that raw power alone equals performance. A Lotus Exage with a “tweaked” Camry 4-banger will do 0-60 in about 4 seconds, equivalent to a Porsche 911 Carrara…which has a six cylinder. A Tesla roadster will do 0-60 in that range and it doesn’t have any cylinders at all.

You have got to love the SB & BB. Lots to work with there.
I have not seen 2000 HP 572 personaly, but I have dredged up some youtubes of a 1900 hp or so 522 BBC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN6E-_0wXos&feature=PlayList&p=01CB0EFA63383BA0&index=69 here.

I don’t consider power to be a reliability issue. Nor do I consider power a sole indication of performance.

What I care about is the power-to-weight ratio. The best engine for the most power depends heavily on which vehicle in which it is being used.

Not stock at all. Just what will make it go faster, faster?

I mean will it always put that out, and not just “on a good day”

2000 HP on 2500 or so pounds would be pretty good?

No engine (2.0 or 572) putting out that kind of power will be found in a driven street car and there is no answer to your question. There are simpy too many variables involved.
I would be very skeptical of that 2000/2000 claim about a BBC. Very.

As to 800 HP per liter, that would have to apply to an all out race car; F1 or whatever.

A 2,500 pound car with 2,000 horsepower would be undrivable. You wouldn’t have the traction you would need to utilize that kind of power.

I have a hard time believing that a gasoline powered, N/A 572 would produce that much power. If it were running on nitromethane then yeah, I could see it happening though.

The 2.0L 1000+ HP cars you’re thinking of are the old turbo F1 engines that were used in the late 70’s and 80’s. They ran on unique fuels as well.

Neither of these engines or engines like them would ever see duty on a road going vehicle as they wouldn’t be practical or reliable enough.

There is no real answer to your question.

I have seen people do some nutty things with their toys. Back in the 70’s…it was fairly common to put a V8 in a Chevy Vega. Someone even went as far as shoehorning a 427 into the Vega. Raw HP was amazing…But the car was almost completely undrivable.

There nay be a HUGE difference between how much power is available and how much power you can actually use.

That’s the thing I should have mentioned, it wa a twin turbo with switches for turb and street or strip gas.
He could select 3 psi from the turbos and pump gas, and push 880 HP for the steet. Flip the switches to 33 PSI from the turbos and strip gas and put out the 2000/2000. It also has hemi heads.

Cosworth used to sell a kit to do this conversion. It included beefed up drivetrain parts as well as a strengthening kit for the subframe.

It was rumored at teh time that the reason a smallblock V8 fit so well into the engine compartement was that Chevy originally planned to offer a version with the smallblock, but they cancelled the project when the problems got serious.

I’m getting the impression that your real question is what engine can be souped up to obtain the most power assuming no budgetary constraints or even fuel constraints. Is this correct?

If that’s so, you should realize that dragsters are now getting 8,000 horsepower out of their engines. They’re routinely hitting 330 mph in the quarter now. But you couldn’t drive one on the street. They’re not built to go much beyond 1/4 mile. I’ve no doubt that there’s a few hot rods out there pushing 2,000 horsepower, but you would not want to try to take them on a trip.

OK4450, you’ve souped up a lot of engines. How high have you taken a street drivable engine?

A BBC that produces 2000 HP by whatever means will have a lifespan of about 15 seconds…

16 year olds can let their car fantasies get away from them real fast…

Guys that have enough money to actually build one of these engines usually find something better to do with their money…A $50,000 blob of smoking scrap metal is great fun when someone else pays for it…

It’s time for the hip-waders…

“Probably the most powerful stock engine out there is the Bugatti Veyron…”

MB, how can you call a Bugatti a “stock” car. Filthy Rich Bankers everywhere cringe at the thought…

Hey! Maybe it’s a good idea after all!

BTW, why settle for this weak sister when you can have a real muscle car? Rod Saboury of Westminster, MD has the Real Thing: a 2400 HP twin-turbo 1963 Corvette. OK, the engine is actually a modified LS-6, but it Destroys the impudent little veyron. I understand that he’s building a new one. Anyone interested in the old one? Oh, and it’s street legal.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/blog/post/2009/02/10/Veyron-vs-Rod-Sabourye28099s-1963-Corvette.aspx

Whatever, Caddyman.
Mountainbike, I don’t make it a practice to soup up many engines although I have done a few including my current hot rod. I also seldom put them on the dyno at 60 bucks a run because the numbers just aren’t that important to me.

However, the wildest one I had (completely streetable) put out about 325 and that’s at the wheels; not the crankshaft. The current one puts out about 225 at the wheels but the torque curve is just astounding. It hits maximum torque just off-idle and maintains a perfectly flat line up through 5k RPMs. Needless to say, push the pedal and this thing just pulls and pulls hard clean through the speedometer burying.
The former used 91 octane and the latter is as happy as a pig in slop on 87, go figure.

I think it’s possible to get those numbers mentioned by the OP but only on a full blown race car that will never see a public roadway and it’s going to require a box of large bills, forced induction, and more than likely nitrous to boot.
The guy who runs the local machine shop here is into drag racing in a big way and he runs a Pro Mod Corvette. (Corvette in name only, there’s not a factory part on it)
It’s close to 600 cubic inches, Nitrous, 8:71 blower, and every high dollar part you can dream of stuck to the car.
He also has his own dyno stall (he’s done mine) and he said the Vette puts out about 1500 HP at the wheels so you could probably translate that to at least close to 2000 crankshaft HP. He also has a whale of a time keeping it alive too.

A few years ago a guy ran a Merkur XR4Ti at the Bonneville Salt Flats and hit over 200 MPH with the turbocharged 2.3 Ford in it. From memory it seems that it was pushing 800 HP so that’s close to 400 per liter anyway. Streetable it’s not.

Those guys in the performance magazines who claim to use an 1100 HP engine as a daily driver are stretching the truth in my opinion.

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

Here’s the info on the hottest 572 crate motor, 720 hp max. No streetable engine will be anywhere close to 2000.
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/i/overview/dynocharts/dc_12498827.jpg