Ford reports F-150 sales are being overrun by V6 engines

Even though the six develops the torque of a v8, it still hasn’t proven itself to deliver this torque reliably over time. Forcing more torque from a lower displacement motor, I would assume, would mean some serious up engineering. Other than occasional use, give me more cubes or a diesel on a proven motor for frequent heavy use like plowing or towing.

@FoDaddy

It might make sense to replace the V8 in the GT with the Ecoboost after the Boss 302 hits the market in a few months. That might make the Boss more desirable. And even though the 5L V8 will still be available in the F-150, all things must pass, including this engine one day.

“And even though the 5L V8 will still be available in the F-150, all things must pass, including this engine one day”.

Real Fords have V-8 engines. Civilization as we know it started a downhill slide in 1941 when Ford introduced an inline 6 option for its cars. I have had to purchase some imitation Fords (an Aerostar, a Maverick, and a Taurus) that weren’t real Fords because they didn’t have the V-8 engines. I think our economic problems and unemployment problems today are caused by Ford moving away from its V-8 engines. I predict that when the Ford V-8 engine passes, the world will end.

Don’t worry. I have a 64 Ford Galaxie (V-8) hidden in my basement and not even Indiana Jones will get it. My will takes care of sealing the crypt for all time. Life as we know it will be safe, Triedaq.

I just wonder how the longevity will be with a bi-turbo V6 working its butt off to make all that torque vs. a V8 that’s pretty much lounging. That said, it’s a nice idea and some decent engineering, even though I’m not much of a Ford fan.

@Jtsanders

Ford did have turbo Mustangs in the 80’s. They had the Turbo GT (2.3L Turbo) in the early 80’s, which became the SVO model in the mid 80’s. The problems with the turbo’d Mustangs were that they weren’t very reliable, which probably wouldn’t be an issue today, as turbochargers and engine electronics have made great strides in durability in the past 30 years. And price, the SVO mustang was more expensive than the V8 GT Mustang.

The current Ecoboost is still more expensive than even the new Coyote 5.0L, and let’s face it, people expect a V8 in a Mustang GT, remember the uproar when the Probe came out and Ford’s orginal plan was for it to be the new Mustang? I suspect there would be a similar uproar if Ford were make the V8 exclusive to the limited production models.

Now I could see them testing the waters with a limited production EcoBoost V6 Mustang, they could call it the SVO, just like the one they had in the 80’s, and see how it’s received.

“I predict that when the Ford V-8 engine passes, the world will end.”

I wasn’t predicting the demise of the Ford V8, just commenting that all products have a life cycle. At some point, Ford will move past the 5L V8 used now in the Mustang GT. They might replace it with another V8, or something like the Ecoboost V6. Maybe an Ecoboost V8. That would be progress.

Actually, the beginning of the end of the world began after 1953 when Ford phased out the flathead V-8.

Of course I wasn’t serious about tying the end of civilization to the Ford V-8 engine. I loved the rumble of a souped-up Ford flathead V-8. I’ve read articles where the Ford OHV 6 introduced in 1952 could outperform the flathead V-8, but that 6 didn’t have the great sound to a junior high school student that the flathead V-8 had. These were the last words a flathead V-8 fan wanted to hear. I thought at the time that the world was coming to an end.
Mercury, starting with its 1939 introductory model, was only available with a V-8 until 1960 when the Comet was introduced. Now Mercurys aren’t even made. Could Mercury’s demise been caused by allowing it to be powered by 6 cylinder engines?

"I loved the rumble of a souped-up Ford flathead V-8. "

Won’t you love the quite of the incredibly powerful electric drive as your new Ford I-car EV hums along while you catch up on your latest Cartalk discussions. This all done while your car silently follows a pre programed path to it’s destination on the newly constructed I-highway; just a nano second before the world ends.

@Tridaq

I know that you were just firing for effect. I recognize hyperbole when I see it. And keep up the good work. Having a bit of fun is what I like best about this place.

“… just a nano second before the world ends.”

On the 19th of Kunagunda?