Ford F-150 with 4.2 V6

Im in the process of buying a second vehicle for work and I came across a '02 Ford F-150 with the V6 and auto trans. 112k miles. This is a supercab as well. I just wanted to hear the opinion of the V6. I know its small but gets better gas mileage than the 4.6/5.4 motors. Any information on the V6 would be appreciated. Thanks!!

If you’re going to use it as just basic transportation like MOST people who own a pickup do…then the V6 should be fine…If you plan on hauling a lot…then the V8 will probably be better…AND give you better gas mileage when hauling then the V6 does.

I’d be surprised if there’s much of a difference between the V6 and the V8 in gas mileage…

Sounds like a big heavy vehicle for a V6. Your mpg won’t be much different than a V8 because you’ll have your foot on the floor most of the time to get the truck moving. Under powered and that V6 is not an especially great motor. I’d pass on this one.

My dad has a 02 2WD F-150 with the 4.2L and the 3.31 rear end . I have a 97 4WD with the 4.6L. and a 3.55 rear end. You’d think that the 02 would get better mileage, but it doesn’t. I get about 1 or 2 MPG better than him in combined city/highway driving. And I’m a more enthusiastic driver than my dad it.

The 4.2L is also a stroked out 3.8L. Ford had well documented head gasket problems with the 3.8L and early 4.2L engines. But by 2002, I think the issue had been fixed. But if it were me I’d looke for a 4.6L V8. You’ll get a bit more power, proven reliability, and at worst about the same fuel mileage.

You are looking at an almost 10 year old truck. If it is in good condition, a test drive shows that it has adequate power, and you think it will do the job for you, I wouldn’t worry about the number of cylinders in the engine. Trucks of this age that haven’t been thrashed aren’t easy to find, at least in my area.

The V6 is an older OHV technology engine where the 4.6 is a more modern design. If you are not carrying a load all the time and drive mostly on flat ground, it will be OK. If its a good deal, get it checked out by a mechanic and if all is well, then consider getting it.