Ford model T

will detroit ever make a car as easy to work on,as the model T,again.

No, and it’s not just Detroit.
Even if any of the car makers wanted to do so, Big Government is not going to allow it.

There was an all original Model A with at York Beach with the hood off this weekend. I was in awe of how little is really required to have a functional engine. The reminer did me good.

Those open copper straps as spark plug wires must have zapped a few unsuspecting chaps!

The model T was an extremely siple car. Even the cheapest econobox today is extremely complicated by comparison. A lot of this is due to government dictated safety and emission items. The stuff hung on the engine costs as much as the engine itself.

Things a cheap econobox has (partial list)that the Model T did not have:

1. A passenger side door
  2. Windup windows
  3. Windshield washers
  4. Turn signals
    5 Ashtray
  5. Multi-position seat adjustment
  6. 4 wheel power brakes, front discs
  7. Power steering
  8. Crash padding on dash
  9. Heater
  10. Defrosters
  11. Crash bumpers
  12. Door impact guards
  13. Air bags
  14. Seat belts
  15. Emission controls on engine
  16. Catalytic converter
  17. Child seat anchors
  18. High intensity headlights
  19. Fuel gauge
  20. Water temperature gage
  21. Water pump
  22. Electric self-starter
  23. Trunk lock
  24. Interior light
  25. Full flow oil circulation system and filter
  26. Thermostatically controlled electric cooling fan
  27. Diagnostic warning lights.

And so on and so!!

Agree that if we put maintainability (ease of maintenance) on top of the design list, we would get cars that were easier and cheaper to service. The original VW bug was rather simple, and you could take the engine out and fix it on your kitchen table.

Unfortunately, the decrease in car size and tight packaging makes sevicing very tough. A Ford Ranger pickup with no extra equipment is often cited as one of the few vehicles still easy to service.

And so on and so!!

+++ cell phones
GPS system
DVD players
Coffee cup holders

If the Model T Ford was still in use today, we wouldn’t have the post about whether or not we should have a 55 mph speed limit. The Model T wouldn’t go that fast. My Dad had the family Model T wide open on a downhill stretch of road while he and his family were on a vacation. It finally reached 49 mph.

If the requirement for “easy to work on” is based upon least amount of tools required Honda wins easily. BMW the most,never worked on Mercedes don’t know.Now Detroit I liked Chevrolet,my area was light line,AC,electrical.Never tried to flat-rate heavy-line,driveability. Or work on Model T

Even if any of the car makers wanted to do so, Big Government is not going to allow it.

Thank god for that.

How high tech was the Model T for its time? What did the blacksmiths and stable keepers think of the car?

Right on, Mike! I love brakes that actually stop the car.

No water pump, no oil pump, no starter, carbide lamps and 4 to 1 compression, they were truly basic compared to today, but what would it cost to produce even that simple automobile today?

No one would buy one if they did. Look at Checker, even they couldn’t stay in business. How could you get one cheaper, easier, more standardized than that? Just don’t sell anymore and much as people squawk, they just don’t buy them.

From your list I think the ashtray is not on many new cars. I know my Accord does not have one. Several other things are luxury items that aren’t strictly required. You must, by law, have OBD-II, airbags, child seat anchors, padded dash, etc. It’s hard to find a car without electric windows these days, but it’s not required and there are some without, for example.

The checker motors company history is actually a lot more complicated than that. It was acquired and changed in 1982 rather than having gone out of business due to lack of demand for their vehicles. They’re still in business as a GM supplier. I refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Motors_Company.

It’s good reading.

Ed Cole, the retired GM Vice-President took it over and was working on an updated moldel when he died in an accident. The new car program died with him sadly!

In India, under %2500 or so. It would not make sense to build such a car in a high wage country.

My Toyota came with a cigarette lighter and REMOVABLE ashtray; pull it out of the console and you have another cup holder!

I made the comparison with a basic econobox with no power windows, door locks, side airbags, etc. It still has a very long list of stuff you do not find in an econobox made in countries with no government regs., such as Bolivia, and others.

Yeah, the great thing about the Marathon beyond its durability was that it was made for quick and easy repair. Cab companies loved that downtime for repair was a fraction of what it would be for a normal car.

This threads brings to mind the issue of building a class of automobile which is not suitable for highway use. A small, light, simple car with a cruising speed of 45 mph, with the potential for exceptional fuel mileage. An old Rabbit pickup with a 25hp diesel and no options other than a radio, heater and wipers would suit my driving needs 95% of the time.

All of you forgot one: Waranty.