Ford, Honda, Subaru

1. A two years or so ago the highest internet users by car brand were Subaru and VW.
  2. Tom & Ray recommended the Outback back in the late 90’s as a great car and now get feedback/wrath.
  3. Car talk is a New England show and Subaru’s litter the land in my area. For example at Lowes I noticed the other day within 10 spaces at least 9 Subaru’s.
  4. Subaru’s have common known issues certain years (head gasket, raw fuel smell).

Ford Crown Vic’s for personal use are a small bunch. Of that bunch the internet users are smaller. They also are decent reliability.

I own two Subaru’s (Legacy turbo wagon and WRX). I love the Legacy but the WRX is getting tiresome. Both have been flawless in 5-6 years. That being said I will likely never buy another Subaru unlike the majority of owners who are very loyal.

Very interesting metrics & stats. We live near the mountains, and there are a fair number of Subarus here as well, but large SUVs and pickup trucks dominate the scene. Cars are in the minority, compared to minivans and SUVs/trucks.

Of my direct neighbors, on the left they have 2 SUVs (Acura and Honda CRV), on the right one minivan (Dodge) and one truck (GM). Across the street, one has 3 vehicles, Nissan Exterra SUV, Nissan Sentra, and Cobalt. Next door, one big Suburban, Ford Taurus, and Sentra. Further down the street one Dodge Durango truck, one Ford F-150 truck and one Toyota Camry Solara.

In the US both coasts seem to have more “foreign” cars and fewer trucks and big SUVs as well as much fewer old style cars like the Ford Crown Vic.

There’s a large Country & Western bar/restaurant down the road. It has good entertainment, and is even visited by REAL cowboys and ranchers.

The parking lot tells you a great deal about the demographics; lots of pickup trucks and American SUVs, mostly large. The only sports cars I’ve ever seen there were Mustangs and Corvettes. And lots of OFCs (old fart cars) such as Crown Vics, Lincoln Town cars, Buick Roadmasters, etc.

Never seen a Subaru, Saab, Jaguar, Audi, Volvo or other low volume foreign car there.

A GM marketing guy once told me that 50% of all the Suburbans sold in North America were sold in Texas and in Alberta, Canada, the oil & cattle province. They’re extremely popular in the Middle East as well.

“Statistics can be twisted to prove any point the person is trying to make”

Only if you deliver your spun message to people who don’t know anything about statistics. This generalization is one that the uninformed like to use so that they can pretend that they aren’t uninformed.

My Bronco makes due with a 4" lift and no advertising…