Ford Five Hundred

" They put Monroe’s struts on. I was told that they failed because I must have bad springs. The rear of the car would not raise up. and that the stocks could not hold that kind of weight so they failed. The shop say it must be my springs"

That’s not a very scientific explanation as to why the springs are the problem

By the way, it’s quite possible the Monroe struts failed . . . BECAUSE they’re Monroe struts

No offense intended to anybody, but Monroe struts are NOT considered to be good

I take it your car is sitting too low . . . in other words, the ride height is incorrect?

Have you been hauling cement or something heavy in the trunk?

I found this in a review of this car:

“Models equipped with the optional all-wheel drive include automatic leveling that employs self-leveling rear shock absorbers, which are similar to air shocks but don’t require a compressor. When the rear end is loaded and sits too low, the shocks restore the correct level when they rebound after absorbing bumps in the road.”

It may just be the special shocks. If you can’t find them anywhere, a good suspension shop might be able to convert to “normal” springs and shocks.

Reading all the posts it seems clear that the Monroe shocks they are giving you are not right for your car, they may be listed in the Monroe book for the 500 but the AWD seems to require different ones. If the shocks are available at the Ford dealer I would go with them.As a last resort there are always air shocks.

I think @insightful‌ and @oldtimer 11 have it right. You need self-leveling shocks. Be prepared for sticker shock, though. These Nivomat replacement shocks are pricey, and they aren’t available at too many places.

not hauling anything heavy in my car

You must use the proper replacements for them to work and last properly. The self-leveling shocks contribute significantly to supporting the weight of the vehicle, unlike regular shocks/struts. Consequently, the springs are softer and the car will sag without the self-levelers.

Ok