Ford Five Hundred Bubbles in the Dash

It took me a long time to find this, so thought I would share!

TSB

05-26-9 INSTRUMENT PANEL STORAGE COMPARTMENT LID - BUBBLES

Publication Date: December 20, 2005

FORD: 2005-2006 Five Hundred

MERCURY: 2005-2006 Montego

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2006 Five Hundred/Montego vehicles may exhibit a condition where the instrument panel storage compartment lid develops bubbles under the surface. This condition usually occurs during high ambient temperatures. Bubbles may subside when vehicle interior temperature cools.

ACTION:

Replace the instrument panel storage compartment lid with revised service part.

NOTE: IF LATCHED HEIGHT IS TOO LOW AFTER THE NEW DOOR IS INSTALLED, SHIM WITH FOAM FROM ROTUNDA SQUEAK AND RATTLE KIT (164-R4900) BY REMOVING THE TRAY AND PLACING 2-3" (51-76 mm) STRIPS OF FOAM UNDER THE TRAY ALONG THE TWO SIDES, THEN REINSTALL TRAY.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

6G1Z-5446140-AB Ford Pebble Instrument Panel Lid

6G1Z-5446140-AA Mercury Pebble Instrument Panel Lid

6G1Z-5446140-AC Shale Instrument Panel Lid

6G1Z-5446140-AD Charcoal Black Instrument Panel Lid

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

052609A 2005-2006 Five Hundred, Montego: Replace The Instrument Panel Lid 0.2 Hr

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

5413594 34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.

Aren’t These Cars Out Of Bumper-To-Bumper Warranty ? One Shouldn’t Need A TSB To Tell Them To Go Order A Part, Pay For It, And Stick It On The Car. Happens All The Time.

I thought that ROTUNDA SQUEAK AND RATTLE KIT (164-R4900) was pretty cool, though. I think I saw Wylie E. Coyote use one during a Roadrunner adventure. Is it marketed by Acme ?

“Ford Five Hundred Bubbles in the Dash” Wow, that’s a lot of bubbles.

But did they count them all, or just estimate?

Ok, so yes the car is no longer in warranty, but it is obvious this is a defective part. Of course mine didn’t happen until after the warranty period - but it’s still a known defective part; shouldn’t they replace it?

They Should, But I Doubt They Will. There Are Thousands Of Bulletins Put Out By The Manufacturers. These Are To Help The Technicians (Not Extend Your Warranty) And As This Bulletin Points Out, Cars Under Warranty Are Eligible For A New Panel.

Should car defects turn out to be safety issues then they often turn into Campaigns (voluntary) or Recalls (ordered). However, manufacturers provide their customers a fair warranty period to cover non-safety defects and to limit the company’s obligation to fix consumer vehicles.

Manufacturers obligated to repair every defect for free would probably go out of business in no time at all.

It doesn’t hurt to ask. Send a polite letter to customer service. Every once in a while a manufacturer helps customers with “goodwill” and pays part or all of the remedy to a customer’s complaint. I doubt they will, but stranger things have happened.

CSA

I definitely appreciate the time you took to answer. :slight_smile: And I will definitely try the nice letter approach. I’m not advocating that they fix every defect - though they should fix all safety defects. I believe that someone (or in this case a company) should have enough pride in their product to fix items that are: 1.) blatantly defective and identified to be defective by the company, even if they fail outside the standard warranty, and or 2.) create a gross defect in the appearance of the vehicle/product through no fault of the operator/owner.

Instead of going out of business by doing the “right thing,” I advocate that a company/manufacturer would actually increase brand loyalty and as a result, do well financially if they made this kind of investment. I know it can be done because I do business with at least one company that makes it a priority. Those of you who are current or prior military members can probably guess to which company I’m referring.

Thanks! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

You’re Welcome. I Agree With You About Taking Responsibility For “blatantly defective” Items And That Approach Would Certainly “increase brand loyalty”.

Keep us posted,
CSA

The TSB was published December 20, 2005, when the cars were still under warranty.

Ok, I give up. I retired from the military and haven’t a clue which brand you are saying the military is loyal to due to the company doing the “right thing.” I know for a lot of years they bought Dodges and Chryslers, but that was strictly based on cost and packages available. (read: lowest bid). Today, the Government purchases all makes of vehicles.

Well - no luck. It was worth a try. I suppose I complained quite a bit for part that cost about $100, and can be installed by anyone that can use a screwdriver. It was just the principle of the matter! Here was the response from Ford:

[i]My name is Marie and I represent Ford Motor Company in the Customer Service Department. I am currently handling your concern on the Instrument Panel Storage Lid that your 2006 Ford Five Hundred is currently experiencing.

Ford Motor Company is committed to maintaining a satisfying and long-term relationship with our customers; thus, in an effort to assist you, I have contacted Northside Ford. After reviewing the situation with Service Manager Michael, I regret to inform you that there are no warranties or other coverages available that would provide assistance.

On behalf of Ford Motor Company as a whole, I apologize if my response is not favorable on your end. Despite all this, it is in my best wishes to have another opportunity in the future to restore your confidence in our products and service.

Sincerely,
Marie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company[/i]

Sorry for the vague references. I was talking in general terms about companies that are sometimes willing to do things that are not in their immediate financial interest, but have long term payoffs (like customer loyalty). USAA was the example I was thinking of, but I know there are others.

Overall, I still like Ford and the cars they make - I’ve owned a number of them. I just think the quality of the interior trim on this specific vehicle leaves something to be desired - especially considering it was marketing as a luxury sedan. It seems like the company kind of hung this model out to dry.

Thanks For The Update, Too Bad They Wouldn’t Cover It.

What kind of relationship do you have with your Ford dealer (sales, service, or parts) ?

I’d show someone my car and my letter and see if they’d want a shot at winning customer loyalty by giving you a decent reduction on the part price (if you’ll be replacing it).

CSA

I priced it out online (fordparts.com) for $102 and found a dealer that will facilitate the part purchase (the original dealer/service center quoted me a price of $153 + labor).