Ford Fiesta Shuddering/Vibrating on Idle

My ford fiesta 2007 Zetec is shuddering/vibrating (feels like it is coming from under the seat but also the engine when the hoods up) for 3 seconds on and off then every so often engine sounds like it struggling to stay running for a split second

Engine mounts? we need more info

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Overall I’m unsure - Ive ran an OBD and nothing error’d - my two thoughts were engine mounts or exhaust.

Basically I boot the car up usually has to be running a bit before it starts, sometimes even driven. When I stop/leave sitting in idle the vibrations start and progressively get worse , after a few pulses of 3 second burst of vibrations the engine suddenly sounds like its struggling/about to cut out but it doesn’t then it goes back to 3 second shuddering.

Engine mounts are the component responsible for securing the engine of a vehicle to the chassis. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit a wide variety of needs, but they all serve the same purpose of mounting the engine and dampening engine vibration. They are usually made of metal and rubber. Metal is used to be able to withstand the force and torque generated by the engine, and rubber is used to absorb and dampen the vibrations. As engines generate a considerable amount of vibration in their regular operation, when there is a problem with the motor mounts, it can usually be quite noticeable. Usually problematic motor mounts will produce a few symptoms that can alert the driver of a potential issue that should be serviced.

1. Impact noises coming from the engine bay

One of the most common symptoms associated with worn engine mounts are impact noises coming from the engine bay. Worn, damaged, or broken motor mounts can cause clunking, banging, and other impact type sounds as a result of the weight of the engine shifting excessively to the point of contact.

2. Excessive vibrations

Another symptom of a bad or failing motor mount is excessive vibration. If the rubber or vibration dampening parts of the motor mount wear out or break, it will significantly reduce the mounts ability to absorb engine vibrations. Undamped engine vibrations will cause the entire vehicle to vibrate, which may make the cabin uncomfortable for the passengers.

3. Engine movement

Another symptom of bad or failing engine mounts is an engine that moves in the engine bay. If the engine mounts are in good condition, they should be able to secure the engine firmly in the engine bay. If they are worn or broken, however, this may result in an engine that will move forward, backwards, or side to side in the engine bay. The movement may be especially pronounced when accelerating, and may also be accompanied by an impact noise of some sort.

Due to the amount of vibration that engines generate as part of their regular operation, motor mounts are an important component on any vehicle. When they fail, this will not only make the cabin uncomfortable for the passengers, it can also place an additional strain that can damage other components.

1 Like

Try cleaning the Idle Air Control valve.

Tester

2 Likes

I think Tester is on the right track here. Does it make a diff if you are in gear vs. in neutral? RPMs will usually be a little lower in gear. Another factor can be the AC compressor cycling on and off. The amount of vibration transmitted to the car depends somewhat on RPM.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

1 Like

I’ll give it a go thank you very much

I have got the hood up and had a look properly and you can feel the vibrations on the engine and see it stutter as it looks like it’s going to cut out

As for RPM - When I start the car up from cold it sits just over 1k but once heated up drops below 1k but when the vibrations happen the rpm moves ever so slightly with the vibrations and the engine stutter - so when it stutters it drops a bit lower and then revs a lil like not much at all just below 1k but as the vibrations go up and down so does the rpm

In gear with the clutch down it carries on as I start moving the car it stops seemingly