Ford Farm Truck

I ran across this article this morning and thought I would pass it along. I’m not a big Ford fan at at all but I have a fondness for the old F100’s. My dad was a diehard Ford fan all his life and had one like this one in the early 50’s.

http://www…1DRBV9.DTL

I loved those model years. My uncle had a 1951 half ton that was two-tone green that he bought new. In retrospect, should have kept it in the family, but it was sold when he moved to town in the late 1970’s. I always thought these had far more style than the ones Ford built in the 1960s. In both cases, the trucks were tanks and took abuse very well.

Those experiences pretty much started me on a near-40 year relationship with Ford trucks…

Cool.

That was back when pickup trucks were sold as basic, inexpensive utility vehicles, just large enough to carry a light load if 1000 pounds or less. If you wanted something bigger you bought a work truck, a stakebed or a flatbed. That build philosophy continued right up through the '80s.

Today’s pickups are IMHO way oversized, way larger than they need to be, under the theory that “bigger is better”.

Those postwar second generation Ford pickup trucks were great. The one in the picture does have one factory option–a right hand windshield wiper. I can’t see the back of the truck, but a right side tail light was also an option.