Ford "experimental" transmission trouble

I have an 05 Ford Freestyle with 50,000 miles. Ford diagnosed the loud engine noise as a bearing in the transmission with a $2,500 bill to repair it. If I go ahead with this repair I’m afraid it will happen again. Can I put a regular transmission in?

I’m a single mom and I can’t even afford this - I was also wondering if anyone else was having this trouble - Ford claims no (of course) but they did offer me $300 off the repair…? They asked me where I get my car serviced - I asked what that had to do with a transmission going at 50,000 miles? They had no repsonse.

It may have a lot to do with it.
Is there any particular reason why you chose not to respond to a legitimate question that was asked of you?
Exactly WHO has been servicing this vehicle?

What do you mean by “experimental” transmission? Are you talking about a CVT?

If you have followed the maintenance schedule as specified in the owner’s manual, it shouldn’t matter where the service was done. Have you followed the schedule? Is there maintenance required on the transmission before 50K miles? If so, was it done?

There is a lot of information missing from your post.

To answer your question, no, you cannot install a “regular” transmission, at least not without a LOT of difficulty and expense. If you want a different transmission, trade the vehicle for one with a different transmission.

Ford has responsibilities; but, the car (truck) owner has responsibilities, also. Ain’t it funny how it’s a two-way street? The warranty requires the owner to perform (or, have performed) routine checks, fluid and filter changes at certain mileages, etc. If you haven’t performed your part of the warranty agreement, Ford doesn’t have to honor a warranty agreement which you didn’t honor (by performance). There may be no salvation, unfortunately.

Isn’t the car still under warranty??

If the OP had the transmission serviced by someone else (fast lube facility, etc.) and they screwed up by either failing to fill the trans completely, flushed it, or used the wrong fluid then the OP is up the creek.
Warranty will not pay, nor should they, for someone else fumbling the football.

OP, have you had the trans serviced elsewhere or not?
Failing to answer a simple question, either by the Ford dealer or any of us, kind of points to this being an owner-inflicted problem.

(The “experimental” CVT is nothing new either. It’s been around for about 70-80 years if I remember correctly.)

Well it was experimental for Ford. Actually, I have driven one and kind of liked it.

I… would go ahead and rebuild it. How loud is the noise? Can you just, you know, turn up the radio? If they are going to charge for a total rebuild regardless of what kind of damage the transmission has, I would drive the sonofagun 'till it don’t move no more, noise be damned. :slight_smile: If they’re going to do a total rebuild, what does it matter if you do it now, or when it’s dead in the water?

EDIT: Also, if they’re offering you any rebate/refund… there’s something else going on there. I’d raise a little hell from the dealership, to regional management, to national management until someone offers to at least pay 50%.

Really. Please explain.
I never said I didn’t answer the question. Of course I did.
My local garage services my car.
Let me guess…you work for Ford?

Yes, the CVT. This is the quote from this very website after the Ford 500 review:

“We do have some reservations about the continuously variable transmission, which we noted earlier. If you’re going to try the CVT, be aware that it’s a first for Ford, so you’re an early adopter ? and that might come with some unanticipated costs or, at least, inconveniences. In fairness, the six-speed-automatic transmission is new, too. It was developed jointly by Ford and GM. But at least it’s well-known technology.”

Sorry for the missing information. And thank you for your input about changing transmissions.

Thanks but the warranty is to 36,000 miles. I took my car for regular maintenance checks - it also has new front and rear brakes and brand new tires.

No, unfortunately (36,000 miles).

if it still drives, take it to two different transmission shops. get two independent estimates.

what is the original warranty? how many miles on the warranty?

call ford up and ask if there are/were any TSB (technical service bulletins) on this make/model car. i find it curious that ford is "giving’ you a $300.00 ‘break’ on the price?!

The only transmission I ever had to have serviced was a 71’ Oldsmobile Cutless Convertible. Other than that my dad always taught me to get regular maintenance on my vehicles. This included oil changes, rotating tires and the like. I was shocked that the brakes went - I was accused of “riding or being hard on the brakes” this during my warantee. Now it turns out Ford is issuing checks to consumers with the Freestyle for the brakes.
But the transmission at 50,000 miles? I had the impression that is was “experimental” from the content of this very site. Please see the following:
“We do have some reservations about the continuously variable transmission, which we noted earlier. If you’re going to try the CVT, be aware that it’s a first for Ford, so you’re an early adopter ? and that might come with some unanticipated costs or, at least, inconveniences. In fairness, the six-speed-automatic transmission is new, too. It was developed jointly by Ford and GM. But at least it’s well-known technology.”

Thanks so much, this is the first I had to deal with something like this. It got louder in a very short amount of time – I parked it until the appointment with Ford. You make a good point and it would buy me some time…

And I have to agree - why offer anything, if there is not something else going on…

OK.
Original warranty is 3 & 36,000 (no powertrain)

I will do that & thanks. When I called Ford the guy I spoke with told me that I was the first call with this… I agree - why “give” me a break at all?

Attached is the TSB issued by Ford to help diagnose the problems with the CVT trans. Obviously you are not the first with problems.
Hope it helps.
~Michael

This reminds me of the saying “In for a dime, in for a dollar”. If Ford wants to pay something then they know that they have some responsibility. The poster who said you should hold out for at least 50% was dead on accurate. Good luck and stick to you guns and don’t worry about the inquisition on this board that wants to blame the owner whenever a car breaks down.

after re reading the posts; it is almost UNBELIEVABLE that a dealership would "give’ anything off the price of a repair if there wasn’t something behind it.

i think you must dig deeper to find the real ‘bottom line’ as it were!?

something doesn’t sound right.

BUT ford isn’t going to roll over. you must prod and push for equitable resolution.

No one should read anything suspicious into Ford offering a partial reimbursement on this.
The vehicle is out of warranty - period.
Car makers, all of them, have been known to offer a full or partial to some degree reimbursement on an out of warranty repair.
There is no one hiding behind a grassy knoll on this issue.

OP, I still have not seen an answer to a question or two I’ve asked.
You state the vehicle has been serviced and the Ford dealer asked you this question also. WHO is doing the servicing?
If someone at another shop or fast lube facility has serviced this transmission and made a mistake you don’t have a leg to stand on. Ford should not even give you 300 bucks on it IMHO.
Again, WHO has been doing the maintenance work?

You probably did all the required maintenance. The fluid change on the Saturn CVT was for 100,000 miles or 50,000 under severe service. I think that the transmission will last longer the second time. The repair should be warranteed for a while. For all the expense, the CVT is a simpler piece of machinery than the other kind, except for the electronics. Friends do let friends drive Fords, but they don’t crow about it. The Saturn CVT was trouble too but they extended the warranty to 75,000 miles on it.