For those in need of excitement

… plus its promised 30 mpg, here is the plug-ugly little Rambler of 1951:

It’s really amazing that 30 mpg was once considered to be excellent.

1 Like

As driven by Lois Lane in the first season of Superman

2 Likes

When it was time for my father to get a new car in 1957, i asked him if he would get a cute Rambler instead of his usual Chrysler New Yorker. He said to me “No son, those are shi@@y little cars driven by shi@@y little people”. And a beautiful Chrysler was again parked in front of the house on introduction day.

3 Likes

Ok, i put two asteriks between the i and the y to represent two letter t’s. It didnt come out that way. Anyone know why?

With the software of this and some other forums, It’s the code to make it turn the text between a pair of double asterisks to make the print BOLD

Any text between ** becomes bold **

1 Like

Thanks very much

1 Like

The postings here accept HTML formatted characters. Start an experimental post, highlight a phrase, then click the B in the format line at the top and you’ll see the HTML format markings appear. It’s possible to use other HTML as well, for example it is possible to place a strike-through on a phrase you want to delete but not erase, phrase

As far as the Rambler, the hard top looks better imo. The one without roof looks like the build hasn’t been finished yet. Didn’t tv-Superman’s Lois Lane drive the roof-less version?

Six decades later people were still buying vehicles rated at 18 mpg, like the Subaru.

1 Like

I didn’t know manufacturers were even advertising economy ratings back in the 50’s and 60’s. The EPA didn’t start doing it’s ratings until 74.

1 Like

Yes, when Phyllis Coates played Lois.

I think that Nash, Kaiser, and King Midget were probably the only ones, back in those days. But, their claimed fuel economy was something to brag about, in the days of vehicles that frequently were not capable of more than 10-15 mpg.

2 Likes

In the 50s many manufacturers were advertising their win, in their catagory, of the Mobil Economy Run

2 Likes

It’s getting to be amazing again since the manufacturers got to rewrite the CAFE formulas in their favor.

1 Like

Honestly that fuel economy isn’t bad compared to my 2006 AWD Volvo sedan. But when the Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat gets 17 mpg highway, even though it’s super powerful, I guess 30 mpg doesn’t sound bad at all!

pictures are amazing