CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Foggy Windows and Frustrated

2001 Chevy Prizm. Now that it is winter the windows fog then frost when driving. At first I thought it was poor door seals which may attribute to the problem. I removed the glove box and reconnected the supply to the right side vent but not much has changed. I noticed that there is a blower with a filter and it appears that it may be stuck on recirculate. It is motor driven and I am afraid to pull on it, force it and break it. I don’t know how to test or replace this little motor. I think now it is vacuum driven. I took out the glove box and tried to pull the flapper the other way and I moved it a little until I turned on the car again and is quietly closed again. It gets so bad, especially at high speeds that the sides fog and frost, even the front starts to fog a little with heat and blower on high. The only thing that dries are my eyes. HELP!

In the summer time at night especially I have to have the defrost on full to try and address the moisture.

All of this is unsafe since I can’t see when I drive.

Please help.

Thanks,

I believe you are going the right direction. It sounds like it is stuck on re circulate which would cause the fogging. I would guess the problem is at the controls not at the heater box.

I am sorry I don’t know your car, but it sounds like the control where you turn the recycle on and off is the problem area.

BTW make sure that filer is clean.