Fob issue, part duh

About 6 or 7 months ago I posted here regarding a fob issue with my 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I parked in a shopping center to pick up some things and the button on the driver’s door would not lock the car or set the alarm, nor would the fob. I tried many times without success. It also wouldn’t start the car. I finally was able to start the car by pressing in the start button with the fob. I drove a few miles and everything then worked. I was wondering if the car was getting some kind of radio interference. The dealer said that was possible, but unlikely. The general consensus was the fob battery was dead (my other fob also wouldn’t work). I replaced the batteries in both fobs and all has been well since, until today.

Interestingly enough, today I parked in the same shopping center in the same parking spot. The button on the driver’s door would not lock the car or set the alarm, same as last time. However, when I left I was able to start the car, and it worked fine after successive small trips. I noted previously, again this time, there is a cell tower about 200 yards from where I parked. I can only surmise this particular parking spot occupies some kind of Bermuda Triangle of radio signals.

Well don’t park there anymore. If the buttons in the car didn’t work, I don’t see how that could be the fob though. More likely whatever the controller is in the car that the fob interacts with.

3 Likes

Or someone is tracking your signal and wants to steal the car.

Insanity: Doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

(Kidding…too damn cold outside…)

;-]

Intermittent FOB start/door-lock problems are a pretty common complaint here. You can use the forum search feature to see what other posters have said. I’m guessing for fob equipped vehicles, this is just something you have to live with. Avoid parking in known problem spots and keep the fob battery in as fully charged condition as possible is probably the best you can do. Those of us w/out fobs will park in your spot.