Flat Rate/Flag Hours

Lake Speed- one of the best racing names EVER!

1 Like

But only the BEST cars…

and mustard, of course

1 Like

My stint as a service manager was horrible. It wan’t the job or dealing with the mechanics. The mechanics felt that I was the only friend they had and I did my best to make sure the flat rate guys got the gravy jobs and the salaried trainees and so on got the penny ante squeak and rattle BS.

The problem with being SM is that I was forced by the position to deal with the morons above me (owner, GM, etc) and had to sit through lame luncheons and so on trying to make them understand how this or that policy in the service dept. would not work,. Even the factory reps agreed with me but they have no pull at the dealership when it comes to policy. So it all falls upon deaf ears…

And that is the exact reason why I intend to keep turning wrenches . . . instead of setting and/or enforcing policy . . . as long as I’m able to do so

I’ve been informed that my post has been removed . . .

And a certain individual has sent me 2 personal messages that were WAY out of line, extremely insulting, and full of foul language

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I informed Carolyn that I received the messages, which particular individual sent the messages, and I even said I’d forward them to her, if she felt it was necessary

Just a heads up . . .

1 Like

No messages for me yet. Got a mechanic bud retiring, he was straight salary. He eats advil like candy. A mechanics life can take its toll.

I’ve known quite a few mechanics who depended on painkillers to make it through a workday

And even if you’re not in pain, there are plenty of other possible pitfalls, such as hearing loss, tinnitus, bad back, injured back, permanently damaged tendons, burns, scrapes, cuts, broken bones . . . I could go on

Well hang on! You can’t come back after all this time and not tell us how it’s going for you! Did your situation improve?

1 Like

By now, I assume he told his previous employer to take their job and shove it, and took his talents elsewhere. Life is too short to work for a company which treats you poorly, or cheats you out of your pay.

1 Like

I feel bad that your post has been removed I saw nothing wrong with it as it was in response to my spam comment.

1 Like

Wow. I’ve kept quiet since you resurrected this thread by responding to my post from several months ago. But I can’t help but comment on your obvious lack of knowledge about anything practical in the working world.

I have held every position in the auto service industry from 16 year old gas station pump jockey to Master Technician and successful business owner. I really don’t need anyone’s advice on how to stand up for myself, make a living, operate a business, or act for the betterment of my industry. I have far more to offer in those respects than you could ever dream of.

If this forum is such a group of sh&tbag crooks feel free to leave and never look back. Spread your particular brand of misery elsewhere, you’re not welcome here.

4 Likes

Agree & don;t leave the door hit you.

1 Like

He rejoined 30 minute’s ago to try again he should be banned from this site by the way I flagged him so he would have no problem knowing who flagged him.

I for one did SOME of that

I did indeed take my talents elsewhere, but I didn’t tell my previous employer to take the job and shove it . . . it’s unlikely, but possible, that I may need a reference someday, or maybe I’ll have to contact one of those guys for some other kind of help. It’s a small world

While I wasn’t exactly treated well, I’m not sure I would go so far as to say I was systematically and regularly cheated. Sure, it happened a few times, but it wasn’t an everyday occurrence. The reality is that all mechanics grow smarter and faster, resulting in greater efficiency overall. I’m more efficient now, versus when I was at the dealership

Speed read fail, for me I guess, I do not see what you see.

Sorry for the late response…again. Yeah I actually got burnt out from that job, having to argue with service advisors everyday about changing my hours on jobs (that were already minimal in my opinion) and management really didn’t care. Maybe it’s just my age (19) or maybe others were just tolerable to it. I had tons of energy and was very modivated, but might’ve not been right for me, just needed to pay bills. I’m now in the army training for 91-H (tracked vehicle mechanic). Thank you all for your comments aside from a few trolls, which I hear are being turned over to site moderators.

4 Likes

I’m sorry my post brought this, you’ve invested quite some time into it, I trust your comments were not spam or necessarily off topic. Hope your message gets through

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re doing that

I believe once you’re out . . . whenever that is . . . you’ll have lots of good options, as far as well-paying jobs go

4 Likes