Flat Rate/Flag Hours

Not sure if this is the correct category for this question, but I work at a dealership as a lube tech (oil changes, tire rotations, and quick services) lets just say I’ve pretty much had enough of flat rate. Our dealership seems to like to pick and choose how much we flag for certain jobs, like chevy diesel oil changes pay the same as a cruze(0.4 hrs) while a dodge ram Cummins pays .6hrs if the filter is on the side. We have a company website and alldata which both say they pay way different hours, not to mention we already don’t get paid for oil, lube, service because it’s “part of multi-point inspection” so an oil change goes from .7 i believe to .4hrs. But the main problem is there’s jobs other than multi-point inspections that we get paid nothing for, like spending 30 minutes checking all tires for nails, or swapping the original wheel with the spare under a truck, and many other bs jobs. I’ve read that we should be paid for every job we do, except the multi-point because we can make a sale from them, which we literally pull cards to see how much we get ($500 sale gets u $4 and they still tax it). Just wondering if it’s even worth fighting or just deal with it or find a better job. Thanks for any answers.

On pay day are you earning a reasonable check compared to others working at similar jobs?

I hear you, can’t fix it, are you dong ok at the end of the week? My bud car fixer works out of his house for extra cash, not saying it is right or wrong.

I have no idea what others make, but on a pretty good pay period i can make $2000 a month

Yeah, I’ve been thinking of doing some side jobs, but bills are tight and usually can’t pay them all unfortunately

what city do you work in and is the $2,000 gross or net pay

Usually gross unless i get like 100hrs in a 2 week pay period

And Fort Worth

Plus I just figured out I was hired a dollar less than everyone hired before and after me and i didn’t get a raise at my 1 yr

The best advice I got was from my ole man.

“If you’re going to work in the automotive service industry, work for yourself.”

And he was right!

Tester

1 Like

Yeah, I wish it was that easy to do as a 19 yr old that hasn’t have a house since 17 because of family issues

It takes a lot of confidence and fortitude, how did you get started, business loan?

I barely got approved for a car so if so I’m *****d

Your pay is about $5,000 per year below average for Fort Worth which may or may not be significant but if you’re over 25 with with a high school education and 5 years experience in an automobile/truck shop in my opinion your pay is less than average.

Yeah, I’m 19 with high school diploma so idk, but as of now it kinda sucks

Also been working on cars most my life and have 3 yrs in high school automotive technology and made it to state championships in SKILLSUSA but all they care about is certifications

You start doing small jobs on the side.

The ones where you have the tools/equipment for those jobs.

Then as you make more money, you buy more tools/equipment to do more complicated repairs. While at the same time keeping up to date by educating yourself on the latest systems on vehicles and how they’re repaired and what equipment is required.

The more complicated the repair, the more money is made.

And if you build a reputation of providing reliable service at a reasonable price, that’s the best advertisement for any business.

And if you do this long enough, you end up with a shop like this.

Tester

1 Like

Well, I have a good air impact and sockets, lots of wrenches, drills, and a double bay matco toolbox with power outlets. One main thing I’m missing is a jack and stands probably gonna get the harbor freight snap on rip off jack. Also have my girlfriends, step dads garage filled with tools

Where would I start for advertising and getting word out.

Here’s another word of advice.

Don’t buy expensive tools/tool boxes like Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, etc… That’s not how to make money.

Most of my tools/boxes are Craftsman. Served me well for 50 years. But then, I’m stationary.

Now, if you work for someone else, you need a big tool box. Because you don’t know if you’ll be working for them tomorrow. So you need to transfer all your tools at one time to the next shop. And that makes sense.

But even then, don’t buy the most expensive boxes out there.

Take a look at US General.

Damn nice tool boxes for a lot cheaper.

Tester