Fixing Exhaust Leak due to Corroded Flanges

Shorthand is fine for the old Teletypes and cell phones. But no need when typing from an actual keyboard.

In the NYC/NJ metro area, one of the all-news radio stations only stopped constantly playing a teletype sound recording in the background a few years ago. I refused to listen to that station because the noise was so damned annoying. And, of course, the fact that teletype machines went into technology museums quite a few years ago made it even more annoying to think that this station was trying to soundā€¦authenticā€¦I guess.

There are still radio stations that when doing the traffic they have a fake helicopter noise in the background to make the audience think the traffic is actually in the air reporting on traffic, when in reality heā€™s sitting in the studio getting reports from google maps.

Hmmmā€¦I didnā€™t know that factoid, but it certainly makes sense!

I think weā€™re mainly pulling your leg a little Anthony.

I was trained for teletype repair in the Army way back in 1970 after getting my business degree for cripe sake. At any rate we were talking about it with my daughter in law a few years ago and she asked ā€œwhatā€™s a teletype?ā€. Kids.:smirk:

1 Like

oh!. I was a telephone tech. serviced eletro-mechanic key systems and well as electronic keys and later PBXs. Telephony has come a long way. I still salivate when i c a step central office switch. Probably the only thing i did too well in the service. Last note: Radio Shack closing stores. I cant get my kids interested enuff to do hobbies. Everything computer driven as far as they r concerned.

Yep we had those old switching units at work. Bell wouldnā€™t replace them so we bought our own digital PBX system. When they pulled the old switches out the guys said they were headed to South America. That was a few years ago though.

Eu prendendo fala portuges. Maybe my old career can have a second life in Brazil.

@cdaquila Can this be closed , for some reason this person keeps dredging this thread up and now with a different screen name.

2 Likes

Dear Sir, It wouldve been more productive to consider the fix I made in my basement. Most other people thumbs up, down or comment. If I stated that it was Nickson part no 17149 from Advance Auto Parts then its on the fence if its a promo or a suggested fix. Then bloggers could (as ive seen on other sites) comment how effective part no 17149 was on their application. But yet you wish to discount any non-commercially engineered fix and elicit the website administrator to remove my contribution. It took a lot of hard work to develop my fix. Perhaps made in China label suits you Mr. Volvo_V70ā€¦or USA via Germany as with Volvos and other automotive manufacturers. The removal of my post disregards American ingenuity. We Americans can not compete because others are so bothered by the positive inclinations of our neighbors that they overtly sabotage progress. Shame on you. I do hope this honest conveyance is seen as productive criticism that adds to the conversation on this thread.