Fixing Exhaust Leak due to Corroded Flanges

Looking 4 testers not haters. If u kno the frustration of repeatedly fixing leaky flanges u might benefit from a better fix. It doesn’t cost anything to try it as a selected tester.

I don’t know. I guess I’d tend to give him a pass. He worked up a solution that people might be interested in trying. We had a sheet metal contractor come up with a similar method for joining lab exhaust pipe once to avoid welding in a tight space. Except it fit around the top of the flanges. I can see it in my mind but can’t remember any more details after 30 years.

1 Like

ironic. sort of. I have a vue with new exhaust but bad motor. and a 2nd vue with bad exhaust but it runs fine. don’t want to combine the 2 but I want new exhaust. plan is to fix nonrunning vue and sell vue with bad exhaust. than I will have a vue with good exhaust.

U may b thinking v-bands
http://www.burnsstainless.com/vbands.aspx

As long as we’re posting solutions to problems…

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Wired-Keyboard-K1500-Black/dp/B00E4TOWR0/ref=lp_12879431_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1492705611&sr=1-12

Your keyboard appears to be missing some keys. I thought I’d point you to a replacement. :wink:

2 Likes

I c ur point.
I see your point.

1 Like

I should take a couple. I have the tendency to spill coffee. Yeah I was wondering what word cur was.

CUR according to Wikipedia…

noun
an aggressive dog or one that is in poor condition, especially a mongrel.synonyms: mongrel, mutt “a mangy cur”

So he was calling me a mangy dog?? I’m crushed.

Mangy? Should I link you to a product too?

https://www.amazon.com/Demodex-Mange-Shampoo-Dogs-Mites/dp/B00EG10QWG

-duck- Please don’t hit me.

Too expensive. Can’t afford it. Need to change oil.

1 Like

Now that is ingenious. My brother’s 1951 Packard could use it!

I worry a little about your clamp’s ability to clamp along the short section on tough applications. You might think about a heavy-duty version something like this. Note that the two pieces are identical:

2 Likes

Personally, I’ve never seen or had much of a problem with leaky exhaust flanges. In the few instances that have presented themselves I just fixed the flanges in some way and done with it.

1 Like
Your concern was mine in my early version since changed . Notice in my bracket the shorter of the 2 pieces. Because it's inserted first the opposing forces push not only against the bolt thats inserted, also against the tube of the second larger piece. Thank you for your insight.

I like your idea, It requires only one tool (lower CAPEX) and much easier to handle throughout the entire production process all the way to packaging if the parts are identical…

1 Like

shorthand 2 finger typing.
c = see
ur = your

That short-hand notation has been around for at least 60 years (long before cell phones).

It was used by teletype operators. Communication was extremely slow sending as few characters as possible was desirable.

1 Like

Yeah, we can read it. I can even read and write leet, but I don’t use it here because it’s not the forum for it. We were trying to gently hint that typing in standard English is encouraged around here, because people don’t want their eyes to bleed while they’re trying to read questions. :slight_smile:

THIS IS WHAT TELETYPE OUTPUT LOOKS LIKE TO SAVE HAVING TO HAVE DOUBLE THE CAPACITY TO WRITE LOWER CASE LETTERS. I DON’T THINK WE WANT TO GO BACK TO THAT. So let’s speak English with complete words for clarity for all. Capesh? (sp)

The minutes of this meeting is a noted. Put the vote, motion by shadowfax to: Use complete and correct syntax of the Old English, Queens English or the American English as described in the text known as Webster Dictionary in this forum and all replies to posted comments as such. Motion hereby seconded by Bing. All in favor is hereby assumed. Done. Motion adopted.

Thats a lot just to make a point, but its the law of this forum and I will abide as best as the situation allows.

Back to the issue at hand. Anyone with two (2) bolt flanges experiencing problems?