First time DIY strut replacement and more. Need advice from experienced folk

. My tires apparently can only be rotated from front to back,

I’ve never bought a tire that can only be rotated from front to back…but I’ve NEVER rotated my tires any other way. I don’t see a point to it. Never had a problem in over 40 years of vehicle ownership.

They said my struts in the rear are weak and the tire pattern in the rear is wavy/cupping to indicated this.

Cupping is a good indicator of worn shocks/struts.

I'm curious, will my rear tires fit for a Honda Accord 2004 EX

Very simple…Just look at the side wall of the tires on each car. Also tire pattern is very important. You may need a tire shop to determine if they tires are compatible. But first check tire size…that may tell you right away if they won’t fit.

From procarcare.com:

Cupping
Cups or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread on one side or the other, almost always indicate worn (sometimes bent) suspension parts. Adjustment of wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the car (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause this condition. Worn components should be replaced with new ones. The worn tire should be balanced and possibly moved to a different location on the car. Occasionally, wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread.”

I dunno, you’re an engineer. Maybe just go for it. You need two tires, but I like just doing all four. Otherwise its always having a couple that are worn more and maybe don’t match. You need rear struts and an alignment, so maybe just go with four struts, four tires, and the alignment once. What can it hurt and you’re back to square one with everything done and nothing to worry about.

I took my car in for tire balance and I need a couple ball joints which means the control arms. I just decided I’m getting too old and too lazy to mess with it, so for $600 I’ll read a book while they work.

The tire in the picture was a directional tire so it is true that it has to stay on the same side of the car, they can’t be rotated side to side. As for the rear struts, I’d like to see a picture of the rear tires before I could advise.

If you have plenty of tread on the rear tires, you could simply get an alignment and rotate the tires front to back. The fronts wear out a lot faster than the rears. Later on when the fronts wear down, you can simply buy four new tires then.

I’m going to disagree with part of this last shop’s diagnosis

The tire wear pattern in our picture was NOT caused by shocks/struts

As far as I can tell, that tire is not cupped

Coopers are a name brand tire, but I think the quality is middling. I might consider them for a fleet truck, but not for a car

No offense intended to anybody who swears by Cooper tires on his car

What the last shop got right was that you need an alignment, and that you need to regularly rotate the tires front to back. I rotate tires at each oil change, since I have the car jacked up anyways.

I don’t see any cupping at all on the tire in the picture.

It was noted on the inspection form that the rear tires are badly cupped, the reason rear struts replacement is recommended. I think the picture of the front tire and each shops focus on the unacceptable rear tire wear pattern makes things confusing.

If you ask for the front camber to be adjusted (it’s not off by enough to be a concern) replacing the front struts with replacements that are adjustable would be the standard recommendation, the OEM struts are not adjustable.

@Nevada_545‌

Thanks for pointing that out

Here are some photos of the rear tires
Left rear

Right rear