First oil change supposed to be sooner than the regular interval?

I always thought better safe than sorry, so change early. Rarely had a new car anyway, but once I read a new Honda manual, it was very particular on NOT changing the factory oil early due to high additives (Molybdenum) that helps the break in.

So, I would still make sure this is not the case with the OP’s car.

As far as the query of whether the OP did buy this car or no, who knows. Looks can be deceiving, so maybe forum posts are like that too. Many times I have not been taken seriously by cars salesmen due to the way I dress. I dress well at work, but my car shopping happens before/after gym, so very casual & comfortable.

Am I the only one that noticed that VOLVO V70 scared off the OP ?

“I’d say there would be no benefit if the frequency was higher than the oil’s capability to lubricate the engine since the oil’s ability to protect is not linear. Oil does just fine until it can suspend no more harmful particles and the additive package is used up. Then engine wear accelerates.”

Hey, thanks. Excellent answer.

I believe synthetic oil, at least the ester molecule based oil sold back in the 80’s, was not recommended for use in a new car until the engine was properly broken in. The rationale was due to its super lubricating properties that would inhibit the necessary changes accomplished during that critical stage in an engine’s life. Who knew?

I wonder why/how suspending contaminants in engine oil works to preserve its lubricating capacity. The old synthetics were marketed by assuring 25,000 miles between oil changes was safe. They promised that their dirt suspending properties made that possible. Does anyone know what they added that would hold and evenly disperse “dirt” like that and how exactly does that uniformly preserve the oil’s chemistry? As suggested, analyzing the full range of changes in the oil and the quantities and nature of the particles from samples used in that manner should be revealing.

“if you change the oil on a reasonable interval, the “internals” will last the life of the car.” Thanks and I agree.

Suppose we could build a friction-less engine. It would last a long time, all things being equal. Suppose we could manufacture an oil like product at a reasonable cost that was so super slippery, unlike anything we are familiar with today, that it would almost eliminate friction entirely between moving parts without breaking down through heat, contaminants, and time. What would something like that be worth, in terms of adding longevity to expensive machinery like car engines.

Once upon a time the field of superconductivity held great promise. I wonder who is doing research along these lines today.

I’m curious. I can’t help it. (I used to drive my dad insane)

“Many times I have not been taken seriously by cars salesmen due to the way I dress” It is called “The Columbo Hustle.” My dad would go into stores dressed so poorly, he would walk out with bags full of free food, washers, dryers, lawn mowers, you name it. Just kidding, but you get the point.

Often it isn’t the oil that determines the change but the additives that inhibit breakdown of the oil. Some synthetics are marketed with longer lifetimes, and they have increased additives to accommodate the increase in contaminants you get with longer change intervals.

If the answer to every question is, "go look at your owner's manual",

It’s not the answer to every question, but it is the logical first place to look. There are plenty of questions asked here where it would have be a lot faster to just open the manual than to ask here and wait for a response. Also the manual has loads of info the owner should know!

then why bother having a forum in the first place?

Because there are still many questions that the manual does not address.

@lion9car writes …

Honda and Acura have typically used a break-in oil with special additives. The owner's manual specifically says not to change it early.

That’s a good point lion9. If the initial engine oil installed at the factory is a special type of oil, replacing it before the time it is supposed to be changed could result in replacing the correct oil with the wrong type for the remainder of the break-in period. That doesn’t seem a good thing. Maybe it is better to not to hurry up the first oil change on a new car.

I bought a new Honda Fit this month and read the entire manual. It says to change the oil whenever the ‘Mileage Minder’ flashes the code that tells you to do it. It also says to change the oil after 12 months if the Minder hasn’t told you to do it. There are no special instructions for a first oil change.

@JoeMario Yes. I meant 0w-20. It’s 0w-20 for the 2.5 and 5w30 for the 3.6.

@“VOLVO V70” This car is being loaned to me. It is not fully mine. I am still on the lookout, but maybe for a 1985-95 F150 with 4x4. I have a higher budget now, too, but I have seen some for as little at $500.

Like I said Honda and Acura evidently put special break-in oil so they don’t want it changed too early. That’s why I checked with the dealer first to change it at 5000. I really would not want to go longer than that regardless. Used to be though you would change oil at 2000 on a new car, but not the case anymore.

Somebody is loaning a brand-new 2016 Outback to a 16 year old, and is putting its maintenance in your hands? That is one very trusting person!

Choose the one that is real : A. trusting person to loan a new car to 16 year old B. Loch Ness Monster C. Bigfoot D. Unicorn’s

E. None of the above.