First oil change 2024 Corolla

I’m buying a brand new 2024 Toyota Corolla in two days. I was planning on following the dealership and manufacturer recommended schedule for oil changes and other maintenance. But now I am seeing videos on the internet that say you should have your first oil change at 1,000 miles on a new car. I’m worried that the dealership service department will laugh at me, tell me I’m crazy and to go away if i call and ask to have an oil change at 1,000 miles (if that’s not their normal break-in operating procedure already). What should i do? BTW: I’m not mechanically inclined so i won’t be doing any work myself on the car.

The owners manual will reflect when the first oil change should be performed.

Tester

5 Likes

OK, thanks, I’ll go by the owners manual. People (mechanics) on YouTube videos and Reddit are saying all new cars no matter what brand should have the first oil change at 1,000 miles because of metal filings that are left inside the engine from the manufacturing process? Even if the owners manual says otherwise?

My 2019 Toyota Corolla SE dealership had me bring it in at 500 miles (it also gave them a chance to check everything over) and then once a year or every 10,000 miles thereafter…

1 Like

Thanks for the information

That use to be true. And you would cut the oil filter open to inspect the filter media for metal particulate.

But with today’s advances in manufacturing that isn’t seen anymore.

Now, if you’re talking a newly rebuilt engine, that’s a different story.

Tester

2 Likes

Nah, not talking about newly rebuilt. This engine is going to be factory fresh along with the rest of the car. Thanks

You get oil changes for free for the first 2yrs or 25,000mi as part of ToyotaCare, If you want them to do a change at 1,000mi I’m sure they’d do it but you might need to pay for that one.

2 Likes

OK thanks for letting me know

1 Like

I’ve usually done 2000. But I do oil changes at 5000, not 10,000. Many mechanics say to double the recommendations. They only care if you make it through the warranty period.

1 Like

I bought an extended warranty for 120 months/100,000 miles from the dealership. So that is the warranty period. So I think whatever maintenance is done would have to last through then.

1 Like

Just saying if you want the machine to last go with more frequent maintenance.

2 Likes

I would be happy to do it more frequently. I do it every 5,000 miles or 6 months now with my 2006 Toyota Corolla.

3 Likes

Usually extended warranty and prepaid maintenance programs are two different thing.
As far as maintenance, I prefer to follow the severe service maintenance schedule.

Technically it’s called an “extended service agreement” I guess extending beyond the manufacturer warranty for things like if the computer screen goes bad, etc

1,000 mile oil changes aren’t needed on modern new engines. Maybe engines from the 80’s and earlier…but not now. I would NOT go 10k miles on oil changes if you plan on keeping vehicle a long time.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

I plan to keep my new car 10 to 15 years

TOYOTA OWNERS! Please NEVER Do THIS to Your Toyota! - YouTube

I wish the mechanic in the video got to the point right away as to “what never to do to your Toyota”

1 Like